Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Help Before My First KCBS Contest on October 1st...

Options
rjoyer
rjoyer Posts: 3
edited September 2011 in Forum List

So, I've had my Large BGE now for a little less than a month, and totally LOVE it.  A close friend of mine has talked me into doing a KCBS event in Placerville CA in a little less than 2 weeks, which I am very excited for.  He will be doing the ribs and chicken in his barrels, and we've decided that I'll do the brisket and butt in my egg.  I've done a few butts already, with this last weekend's batch being a total success...though I've yet to tackle a brisket.

Now I've read numerous posts on here of people getting successful results when doing both a butt and a brisket at the same time, which relieved me a bit.  However, I'm hoping to solicit some tips/tricks from the group prior to showing up with the "Big Boys"....so please let me know if you think I'm forgetting anything, or if you'd suggest I do something different, acknowleging the fact that I'll be doing the brisket and butt together, at the same time, in a competition setting.  Thanks in advance for the help!

Clean out the Egg and stack lump a la Elder Ward's suggestions
Light fire and place 1 fist-sized chunk of apple wood in the middle
Insert place setter (inverted), drip pan, grate and grate extender and stabilize the Egg's temp at ~250*
Season the meats as desired
Place the brisket, fat side up/down (depending on which camp you're in) on the lower grate, and the butt directly over it on the upper grate
Insert temp probes into both hunks of beefy/porky goodness
Smoke until the brisket reaches 202* and the butt hits 195*
Remove, double-wrap in HDAF, then towels and toss into cooler until ready to slice/pull and serve
Celebrate with numerous frothy, adult beverages and hope I don't come in last place

Comments