Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maintaining temperature question

Options
Greygoose
Greygoose Posts: 103
edited September 2011 in EggHead Forum
i'm on my third session with my new egg and the biggest problem i seem to have is getting it to stay at a particular tempurature. i'm always to hot or to cold. did a pork butt last night with the idea in mind to do a 18 hour smoke at 230. Got things under control pretty quickly and thought i had it set up right. checked it about 2 hours later to find it at 270. made a very minor adjustment to the bottom door ((had it about an inch open) and moved it to about 3/4 inch. came back 2 hours later to a 210 degree temp. 

unless anyone has any better suggestions , my plan is to keep the bottom vent open about 1 inch and just work on the top vent to try an dial in a specific tempurature. Seems like very small changes down below can lead to big temp changes. i'm hoping the top vent is the key to my "dial ins".

advise would be appreciated (and you may not want to stop by my place to try this BBQ tonight after this temperature rolla-coaster this piece of pig has been on. 

Greygoose

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    I've been egging for a few months now, and agree with you that doing fine adjustments with one vent only is a good idea, one less variable.  For low-n-slows I leave the cap on, with the vane holes wide open, and adjust temp with the lower vent (your choice is just as relevant).  For a low-n-slow my bottom vent can be around 1/16"!  
    And don't panic about your pig being on a "temp roller-coaster", mine have fluctuated between 300 and 140 (fire went out that night) and they've all come out fine, the meat just isn't that fussy.
    Have fun!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• dunnharr
    Options
    I've only been egging a few months, but I've found that if you use a wiggle rod every few hours to clear out the air holes in the grate, it really helps in keeping the temperature steady.  If you're not familiar with them, it's a wire rod with one end flipped up ninety degrees that you stick through the bottom vent and up into the grate.  You can make your own with a coat hanger doubled up and bent at one end, or buy one from www.thirdeyeBBQ.com. for $17.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Try the search function here for temperature control and also go to www.greeneggers.com web site and check out the "quick reference 1 and 2" (upper left hand side of the page) for all kinds of links to useful sites and info for the BGE.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Shwiezzee
    Options
    Tweev, 

Do you have multiple personality disorder? You are contradicting yourself? LOL
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike Bar.
  • Shwiezzee
    Options
    How the heck would one do that? I knew that wasn't you......
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    They spelled Tweev_tip with a dash vs. an underscore. 
    The Naked Whiz
  • Shwiezzee
    Shwiezzee Posts: 304
    edited September 2011
    Options
    They spelled Tweev_tip with a dash vs. an underscore.  
    Good eye my man!

Easy, look at the name, it's slightly different.  One could make an account Shwiezzee. (note the period) and it's a unique name.  Not a heck of a lot the admin can do about it except delete the account / ban ip but that's just a pain.  Whatever, if the greeneggers want to come over and cause trouble they are more than free to do so I guess.

It's antics like that that make staying over here on the Big green egg corporate site better than the pirated greenegger forum.
    WOW, You are a popular cat!  B-)  
  • Shwiezzee
    Options
    LOL, Thanks. 

Thats it! I quit. Work just gets in the way of my fun. 
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Tweev, was that a Whiz_tip or a Whiz-tip?  (Don't answer.) I'm done too, :-)
    The Naked Whiz
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options

No
    better compliment than imitation. 

Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat