Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When an Egg goes unused...

Options
Flashback Bob
Flashback Bob Posts: 519
edited September 2011 in EggHead Forum

I figured I better post this picture because none of you will ever see this. 

I haven't used the Mini since early July!  I guess I tend to use the large during the warmer weather months and the mini in the winter (and on vacations).  Moisture gets in there, the charcoal gets damp and it stays damp and dark in there.  I keep the DFMT in there and it is quite rusty.

Last night I loaded it up with lump, opened the vent wide and let it burn (including the damp lump that was in there)  it took a good hour to get up to 400 and it may have peaked at only 600.  I let it burn from about 5:00 - 9:00.  Of course now I realize I should've taken a picture this morning to show how well it cleaned up!  maybe tonight....

lesson here is if you find mold, don't panic, just light it up and have a good cleaning burn.

Comments

• LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    wow.. that's the 1st time I've seen pics of the mold in an egg... looking forward to seeing the after pics :)

thanks for the tip on doing the clean burn
    context is important :)
  • lkgmadmax
    Options
    Wow...are those mushrooms growing on the gate? :)
  • LeoHat2
    Options

I live in Seattle and don't cook much in the winter. I get that kind of mold every spring. I just load her up with lump, set the vents wide open and let her rip. 

I figure if any nasties can survive several hours at 500+ they deserve to get me sick. :)

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options

I live in Seattle and don't cook much in the winter. I get that kind of mold every spring. I just load her up with lump, set the vents wide open and let her rip. 

I figure if any nasties can survive several hours at 500+ they deserve to get me sick. :)

Why don't you cook in the winter?
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • LeoHat2
    Options

Because I'm a lazy bastard and don't like going out in the rain/dark.

It's not the egg it's the cook.   :)

• windnsea26
    Options
    Please post some pictures after you cleaned it up.
    San Diego, CA
  • Flashback Bob
    Options
    well I haven't cleaned it up yet, just went home briefly and took a quick pic.  I'll hit the grate with the wire brush and maybe hit the dome with a ball of alum. foil.  but even without that, it's pretty much ready to goimage
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options

Because I'm a lazy bastard and don't like going out in the rain/dark.

It's not the egg it's the cook.   :)

Love you're honesty ....

Have you ever thought of putting your mini on top of the stove with the exhaust fan on? That way you can stay inside ...

;)
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.