Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sizes and Capacities

Options
SLMWinds
SLMWinds Posts: 17
edited September 2011 in EggHead Forum

I have been reading a lot on the forum trying to decide whether to go with a large egg or to get the XL. It seems like most people think the large is a bit more user friendly with regards to maintaining temperature and things of that nature (although I see some disagree). I do have a big family (routinely have 12 people at dinner) and would like to be able to cook for groups of 20 or so if we have a party so having a big cooker is desired but at the same time I don't want to compromise too much on the quality and ease of use side. One thing that may be able to help me decide is true capacity. When I look at the BGE website the advertised capacities are much different than what I hear from dealers and people on this forum. It seems you can increase your capacity by getting different attachments, which I'm fine buying. With that said, I have 2 questions:

1) I will be mostly cooking burgers, steaks, and pork butts--what is the capacity of the large BGE for those meats? (feel free to specify with or without attachments)

2) If you do get the attachments to increase the capacity, is there any compromise in the quality of the meat you produce?

Although I lean toward the large at this point, I'm more than willing to hear any thoughts on the L vs. XL issue as well.

Comments

• howmeisterg
    Options

Hi!

I have been the happy owner of an XL for the past year. I have a family of 5 but routinely cook for 7 or more so that I can make enought to freeze.

I strongly urge you to go with the XL for your purposes. Although I have never cooked on a large, I can say the XL is very easy to cook with. I have no problems maintaining temps, and the quality of the results is second to none.There would npt be a difference in cook quality between the L and XL.

The ceramicgrillstore would be my go place to add additional capacity to either L or XL - the adjustable rig, as its called, is a phenomenal piece of equipment and will add tons of space to either size BGE. "Managing the vertical space" is the the key for a L, whereas the XL will have more surface area so you won't have to feel like you are putting a puzzle together for larger cooks to fit everything.

The extra space on the XL will be well used - you can cooks larger pizzas, mpre steaks, more surface area for the larger group you are cooking for. I tend to cook things that take up square inches, like veggies and flat pieces of meat. I love the XL for that.The XL will also be able to fit a larger turkey. In general, as I said, it will fit more food without messing around as much with packing it "just right". My opinion is that it is the way to go for you.

Good luck!

• LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    if you're routinely cooking for 12 than I think you should go for the XL.

if you want to save on lump and do smaller cooks, the lump reducing ring is nice, but not necessary.

context is important :)
  • Flashback Bob
    Flashback Bob Posts: 519
    edited September 2011
    Options

If you routinely have 12 people at dinner, go for the XL.

I have a LBGE and I have cooked 4 pork butts at one time, 9 racks of BBs, but other than that I've just cooked for my family (4).  I have cooked roasts that fed 8 adults and 4 kids and had leftovers.

I'm thinking if you're regularly cooking for 12 or more and you're cooking burgers and/or dogs, you need more real estate.  Steaks- I don't know how many because they vary in size.  Tenderloins are small, T-Bones are big.

With the XL you can get the lump reducing ring that enables you to use a smaller load of lump for the cooks when you don't need as much space.

Also in response to question #2- no compromise in quality.

• MCR
    MCR Posts: 270
    Options

I have a XL and love it. If you are planing to cook for 12 on a regular base go XL you will need the extra surface. For smaller cook, I use a lump reducing ring... Sure it reduce the amount of lump required but the nicest thing is to have direct heat above it and "indirect" around which make it perfect for soft veggies or others. It become very easy to cook two different things at once.

Marc

Marc