Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

fire too hot!!

JDBoulder
JDBoulder Posts: 7
edited September 2011 in EggHead Forum

I decided to cook a 7lb brisket last night and put it on at 2030hrs.

I tried to get the dome temp to 250 but it was not wanting to come down past 300.

I shut the dampers way down and it was like 285.

So I went to bed and at around 0420hrs the fire was out!

I am now having to cook it and I am having the same problems with the dome temp not coming below 300.

Any suggestions on what I shoul;d be doing or not??

Thanks

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    My guess is that the dome thermometer is about 50 degrees of true.

Sometimes the dome thermometer goes out of calibration, especially after hi-temp cooks. Too late now, but next time take the thermometer out of the dome, and place it in boiling water to see if it read 212. If not adjust. Some people have reported more than 30 degree errors.
  • He's doing a brisket, I believe......
    The Naked Whiz
  • I think you will find keeping your Egg inside your desired temp window at the begining of the fire prep will be most helpful.  If you want to cook at 250 bring the temp up and stop it there (or at least close).  I have to guess you let it get too hot and then had it choked off too much for it to keep going without your assistance.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• The key here is that it takes the egg a long time to adjust its temp when you adjust the draft door. The BGE has so much thermal mass, that it could take 45-60 minutes (or more) to stabilize with a new draft door setting. Get a good fire going (I love the Naked Whiz Method of using a chimney starter). After you close the lid, watch the dome thermo. When it gets to 220ish (which will be very quickly), shut it down to a sliver and wait an hour or more for stabilization, but keep an eye on it. If it runs away high you know you need an immediate correction, and if it starts to drop, then you know you need to open a bit. Remember its takes a lot of time for the fire to respond to the new settings.

Usually if I see a 300 degree egg and I want to get it down to 250, I will very unscientifically nudge the door closed a little and then just wait it out. After a while you get the hang of it - its "feel" more than anything.

• I had a similar problem recently and found that my dome temp thermometer was 50 degrees off. 
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948

Agree with others....either your therm is off and/or you are not waiting long enough for the temp to stablize.  I did this on my first rib smoke and I was having to chase the temp for the entire time.  Too hot, too cold...up and down.  Please post results and let us know how it turns out.

Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat