Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackend Ribeyes

gee
gee Posts: 71
edited September 2011 in EggHead Forum

I burned two beautiful Ribeyes tonight .

I wil never use roasted garlic and herb rub on my steaks ever again. I put my grate on the firebox to cook my ribeyes and burned the rub not a good thing. They were stll edible but barely. Just wanted to let you know DON'T USE A RUB when going hot and fast.

Who cares I'll post where I want

Comments

• Use a rub all the time.. What else did you do to the steak? Did you use some type of oil?
  • gee
    No just the rub.  had the Egg hot around 600. The steaks were on the grill for two minutes each side. Just this rub was burned ( did I already say that) this has been My only disappointment on the Egg.
  • How thick were the steaks?
  • gee

Squeezy it was weber roasted garlic and herb dry rub

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Was this a dry rub or a wet one? ... I could see it being a problem if it is wet.
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • gee
    About 1 inch. Let me clarify. The steaks themselves were not burned just the rub.Steaks actually came out about medium(actually that is burneed for my taste). I will go back to just S&P with worchestire or however you spell it.
  • Squeezy
    Worcestershire ... but we're all good with Worster ... ;)
  • Squeezy

Must just be a sh*tty rub ... I use a simple commercial Cajun rub and it's always great!

• Try Dizzy Pig's Raising the Steak, Redeye Express or Cowlick and get them steak about a half inch thicker. You'll like the results better
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    I know what you mean about burning the seasoning.  I mean we are searing at a grate temp of what, 800, 900 or more degrees?  How can the seasoning not burn?   I have played around with searing the steaks with nothing on them, then seasoning during the rest time and then back on for the finish with good results.  Now, having typed that, I have never ahve really had a yuck burned flavor either.  Just experimenting really.  Also, I love all the Dizzy rubs Celtic posted. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    I use only salt, and then apply rub after I flip. 
    context is important :)
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Season all and garlic salt. Luv it that way.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    I know what you mean about burning the seasoning.  I mean we are searing at a grate temp of what, 800, 900 or more degrees?  How can the seasoning not burn?   I have played around with searing the steaks with nothing on them, then seasoning during the rest time and then back on for the finish with good results.    
    That's something I've wondered all this time, too; I'm so careful about when I add fresh garlic, or any green herbs, to anything I make in a skillet, yet everyone puts finely-ground powder on a steak and it gets burned into the crust.
    Next steak I make, I'm gonna rub the left half with rub, grill it, rub the right half as its resting, and do a taste test.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• The only thing I put on my steaks are a little olive oil, course Kosher salt and cracked pepper.  That's it!  IMO there's plenty of flavor with just salt and pepper.
  • The only thing I put on my steaks are a little olive oil, course Kosher salt and cracked pepper.  That's it!  IMO there's plenty of flavor with just salt and pepper.
    way to go ! Good beef steak like Rib Eye needs nothing but good salt before, and good black pepper after grilling.
  • many folks recommend that you don't put rub on steaks while grilling.

for the cook you described, I'm surprised the steak didn't burn.  when searing it's been recommended to do 1 minute per side per inch of thickness. sounds like you doubled that.

I agree with CW- go with thicker steaks.  you can do more with them.

If I'm roasting my steaks (at like 400 ish) I put rub on before cooking.

• gee

I have grilled so many steaks on the egg and Have spoiled myself to the point that I RARELY eat steaks When I go to a restaurant. It's back to just Salt and Pepper.

I use peanut oil because it has a higher smoking point and I feel has less of an after taste.  Also I let my steaks sit out for at least an hour to hit room temp prior to cooking.   Otherwise I follow the same strategy, sea salt and pepper, and things are great.
  • I salt the steak with course kosher salt 30 minutes before it goes on the grill.  Any salt that has not dissolved is removed, add pepper and place on CI grill at temps around 500.  That is all you need on a good steak IMHO

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • 4Runner
    Agreed on simple is better for steaks.  I do like a bit of garlic powder and still use an Outback seasoning for the family to mix things up a bit.  Also, I'm pretty much set on searing at high temp with salt only these days and finishing my seasoning during the rest and then finally back on for the roast.  This helps prevent season burn. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
  • Austin,

According to Cook's Illustrated, you need to bump that salting time to 40 minutes.  That eh length of time it takes for the osmotic process to work its way through completely.
    I use peanut oil because it has a higher smoking point and I feel has less of an after taste.  Also I let my steaks sit out for at least an hour to hit room temp prior to cooking.   Otherwise I follow the same strategy, sea salt and pepper, and things are great.

I don't notice the olive oil. I may try the peanut oil to see if I notice anything different.
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    It's the sugar and flour in most of the rubs that burns.  I agree you need thicker than 1".  That's too hard to control.  By the time it is seared, it is well-done.  Do a T-rex or do a reverse sear on it and you'll be fine.  I ALWAYS have a rub of some sort.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited September 2011

Tsheehan7 wrote:  “According
    to Cook's Illustrated, you need to bump that salting time to 40 minutes.  That
    eh length of time it takes for the osmotic process to work its way through
    completely.”

What you are saying about osmosis has value and for a leaner cut
    of meat when time is important. 

Since this was a 2.5inch bone rib eye I was not worried about juiciness
    of the meat.  I was using the salt to
    pull out some of the surface moisture.  Brushing
    off the salt with a paper towel removed the surface moisture.

Moisture on the meat surface steams it and I wanted a “seared crust”
    on the surface.

I was only creating a "one way osmotic street"

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • 4Runner
    I really like CI.
  • KB
    KB Posts: 144
    When I cook at those high temperatures, I use Canola oil.  Olive oil burns at a lower temperature, and it's my understanding that any flavor in the oil burns off.  Canola oil is neutral flavored and it's cheaper.