Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burnt Pizza

tylerldurden
tylerldurden Posts: 4
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
Hello All I need some help.  I cooked pizza for the second time on my BGE.  The temp was 500ish.  I used a pizza stone.   I do not have a placesetter but I do attach a small cookie sheet to the underside of my grill grate with wire to get indirect heat.   My pizza crust bottoms come out BLACK BLACK burnt. 

Any thoughts?  I am considering dropping the temp down to 425 and trying again.

Do you think the cookie sheet is not working?  I have used a cookie sheet in the past for smoking a brisket and it turned out great.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    raising the grill as high as possible helped me alot, the heat radiates better off the dome and helps cook the top quicker. if your crust is really thick, drop the temps as well, but 500 for an average thin crust works.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    go buy a platesetter it will help more than you think!!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Minkoff
    Minkoff Posts: 25
    Get a plate setter w your pizza brick over it. 450 degrees is plenty hot
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    tylerldurden 
    I'm not sure the aluminum can absorb and deflect the amount of heat a plate setter can. A while back I used a IR thermometer to see what the temp was after one hour with plate setter, spacers, and pizza stone when dome temp showed 500. The plate setter ran 625 to 650 and the pizza stone was 450-475, 
    You could use layer of fire bricks on the grid and then turn two on their side and put your pizza stone on top (if you don't want to buy a plate setter.)
    Kent Madison MS
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    It's absolutely ridiculous that the EGGs don't come standard with a plate setter.  Indirect cooking is an essential component to owning and using an EGG.  Just silly.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• I never had good results until I got the Ceramic Grill Stores Adjustable Rig.  I don't use a plate setter.  I get my dome temp to 600 with the rack on top of the rig.  I put my pizza on the BGE pizza stone and in 2-3 min the pizza is done.
  • It's absolutely ridiculous that the EGGs don't come standard with a plate setter.  Indirect cooking is an essential component to owning and using an EGG.  Just silly.

I would have to agree with you that the eggs not coming with a plate setter and an ash tool along with grate tongs is poor choice.  I would have to say that these key items should be standard with any BGE package.

On that note, I have only cooked pizza with a plate setter and feel it is key to a good pizza.  Since my fiancee is a chef, we have made our own dough and also purchased some store made.   While the home made had better flavor and I felt was easier to work with, having corn meal is also needed for the pizza stone when cooking.

Best of luck on future pizza cooks.
  • Dnorman
    Dnorman Posts: 117
    It's absolutely ridiculous that the EGGs don't come standard with a plate setter.  Indirect cooking is an essential component to owning and using an EGG.  Just silly.

I would have to agree with you that the eggs not coming with a plate setter and an ash tool along with grate tongs is poor choice.  I would have to say that these key items should be standard with any BGE package.

On that note, I have only cooked pizza with a plate setter and feel it is key to a good pizza.  Since my fiancee is a chef, we have made our own dough and also purchased some store made.   While the home made had better flavor and I felt was easier to work with, having corn meal is also needed for the pizza stone when cooking.

Best of luck on future pizza cooks.

Well When do you stop,  I mean Charcoal is pretty important, so is a nest, and starter sticks.....I love and use my plate setter a ton, but I know a few people who dont.  Keeping everything seperate helps keep the price lower and allows more people to buy them, since they arent cheap to begin with.

Hey I sell the things so this is a retailers thought on it.

• GeekGod
    GeekGod Posts: 52
    edited September 2011
    As a consumer I feel BGE has nickel and dimed me to death.  I love my egg and all but still feel a bit violated.  Somewhere over on the other forum someone showed off their new digs which included all of the above and the price was half of a large!
  • I felt a little jilted at having to pay for all of the extras but the customer service was top notch when I needed it...which is more than I can say about a lot of other products' customer service.
  • I felt a little jilted at having to pay for all of the extras but the customer service was top notch when I needed it...which is more than I can say about a lot of other products' customer service.
    Agree with that 100%.  When I needed help with a replacement gasket they sent one right out.
  • Believe it or not there are those of us that would rather not cook with the plate setter.  There are other products out there that I use with better or the same results IMHO.  I kinda wish I hadn't purchased the plate setter.
  • Well... now that this thread is thoroughly high-jacked. :) I am happy to pay for every eggcessory I have purchased. 

You want to know where I felt "done" on grills?  When I had to replace the rusted offsets, the thin cast iron grates, the crumbling flavorizer bars, and whatever hundreds/thousands of dollars I spent with those manufacturers to replace their inferior products.  

The BGE company has lived up to every promise they have made to me, I regret nothing, and I am happily buying new eggcessroies for my small. 

As far as the original topic... I think the patesetter or adjustable rig is the way to go.  I use the platesetter, the feet, and then the pizza stone... it comes out great.  I have tried them at 450 and like the results of 525 to 550 better.

Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • Definitely get a platesetter.

Here's another trick for avoiding burnt pizza bottoms:  Keep a second pizza stone on the side -- i.e. off the egg, so that it stays cool.  If the bottom of the pizza gets done before the top, lift up the pizza and slide the cool stone under it.  Then finish the top.
  • What I do is keep the pizza stone off the egg until about 7-10 minutes before you put your pizza on to cook. That way my pizza stone isn't 700 degrees. It works for me, but I also have a platesetter and I put the platesetter feet up ( BGE told me to cook it that way ).
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225

+1
    context is important :)
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102

+1

Couldn't agree more !!!!
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited September 2011
    My dealer threw in the platesetter as part of my package.   :)>-
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • flyboy320
    flyboy320 Posts: 19
    edited September 2011
    What I do is keep the pizza stone off the egg until about 7-10 minutes before you put your pizza on to cook. That way my pizza stone isn't 700 degrees. It works for me, but I also have a platesetter and I put the platesetter feet up ( BGE told me to cook it that way ).

I'll have to try that when I do my next pizza. We end up doing a lot of store bought frozen pizza and if I cook them anything over 450f it burns the bottom and the top is still barely starting to cook at that point. I thought maybe I was cooking them at to low a temperature so I tried it at 500f and it just exasperated the situation.

So I think next time I'll try it your way and put the pizza on a stone that's not fully heated up. Perhaps the homemade pizza dough behaves differently than store bought....
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    I use the big rid with the pizza stone on it and cook at 450 and turn the stone every 5 minutes so theres no hot spot and 12 to 15 minutes its ready!

I also got my plate setter as a packadge with my large egg! Also BGE customer service is excellent!
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    I use parmasan paper in between or corn meel they both work perfect!
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • Phredde
    Phredde Posts: 3
    edited September 2011
    I set my pizza stone on three fire bricks on edge arranged in a Y on the cooking grid.  I usually bake my pizzas at 550 and haven't had any problems with burning the bottom.
  • I use the 3 feet that came with the egg to lift up the pizza stone a bit.  I've had burnt crust before,  but that was when I let the temp get away. I get it up to 425-450,  put the pizza on and if I have a lot of toppings take off the DMFT for more heat up top.  Generally 10-12 minutes for a perfect pizza.  I am lazy in that I like to use Mama Marias pre-made crusts.  Going to make my own soon though.

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    I've done two frozen in my first week of my Egg, and found that if you follow the oven directions for time and temp. it comes out perfect. That was without a plate setter ... I jury rigged mine, so I think once I have my plate setter, it will be even easier ....
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.