Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pizza...

Rock Chalk Smoker
Rock Chalk Smoker Posts: 25
edited September 2011 in EggHead Forum
Well first off I don't have any pictures, and I am glad because it didn't turn out well. I mean I did everything right with the Egg as far as prep and temp, but does any one have tips on how to roll the dough out and get it on to the grill without messing it up. My first attempt I had to make it into some sort of calzone, which I did cook well. I did about 10 on each side and it was cooked through, and had a great crust. 

My second pizza wasn't much better...I did make the dough thicker than the first time and if I had to guess it was a 12 inch pizza and the dough was 1/4 inch thick. This one I thought had potential, but I had a hard time getting it from the pizza spoon/spatula to the Egg. 

With all of that said, below are my list of questions I have:
  • Does anyone have tips on how to handle the dough between prep and the Egg?
  • Does anyone have tip on selecting a good store bought dough?
  • Or does any one have a good recipe for pizza dough?
I thought about asking a few local pizza places if I could job shadow and learn how to handle dough, but I am in my second year of my MBA, have a 10 month old son, wife, and a job that takes up a lot of time. I like to use my spare time on the Egg and want to be able to make some good pizza. I think my BBQ is pretty good at this point and I want to get my pizza pretty good as well.

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Patrick

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Google images pizza mesh. I build my pizzas on that and place that directly on the stone. You also want to keep the stone as high in the dome as you can.
  • Spoon
    Spoon Posts: 328
    As far as moving it onto the egg. I flip over a cookie sheet, put down a piece of parchment paper, roll and toss my dough till I get the size and thickness I want and put it on the parchment paper to top. Just slide the parchment onto the pizza stone and close the lid. After a couple on min you can slide out the parchment paper. Repeat as  many pies as necessary.  B-)
    "Pork so tender you can pull it with a spoon." ~Spoon
  • JeffM
    JeffM Posts: 103
    +1 on the parchment paper.  I tried the other way and it wasn't pretty.  I ran a thread on parchment paper and the consensus was it has no effect on the results vs. no parchment paper.  Also let your stone get hot for 30+ minutes.  
  • +1 on the cornmeal (I use semolina).