Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help!!! I Can't Cook Any More!!!

Options
PhotoPro
PhotoPro Posts: 47
edited September 2011 in Forum List
What the heck has happened to me?  I've been cooking on this XL for almost 2 decades.  I cooked better on the first couple of months of ownership than I have in the last couple of weeks.  Everything I do is bone dry and overdone.  I've been teaching the wife how to egg and she has no trouble with dried out, tough meats.  In the last 2 weeks I've incinerated a turkey breast, a cajun meatloaf (see my old recipe under the BBQBluesStringer handle), a brisket, burgers, and came close on some St. Louis ribs.  Man, these are my staples!  What is happening to me?  I know it's not the egg because Shirley is getting fantastic results and she is just beginning to learn   I just can't cook right any more.  I won't tell you about my recent lasagna...  help me!

Comments

• Spoon
    Spoon Posts: 328
    Options
    Sounds like in golf, you got a case of the shanks. It's in your head. You know how to cook, especially on your egg. Get back to basic and fully engage, it's easy to get on auto-pilot for things we have done for so many years.
    "Pork so tender you can pull it with a spoon." ~Spoon
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    I can dry out some food with the best of them....BGE or otherwise.  Agree with Spoon, go back to basics and watch the temp.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Agree with Spoon too (I lose my mojo with skiing every couple of years or so). 
    Take a break, eat a bunch of cold gazpacho (season's closing quick!) and some sushi, then work your way back up.
    Good luck!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    What the heck has happened to me?  I've been cooking on this XL for almost 2 decades.  I cooked better on the first couple of months of ownership than I have in the last couple of weeks.  Everything I do is bone dry and overdone.  I've been teaching the wife how to egg and she has no trouble with dried out, tough meats.  In the last 2 weeks I've incinerated a turkey breast, a cajun meatloaf (see my old recipe under the BBQBluesStringer handle), a brisket, burgers, and came close on some St. Louis ribs.  Man, these are my staples!  What is happening to me?  I know it's not the egg because Shirley is getting fantastic results and she is just beginning to learn   I just can't cook right any more.  I won't tell you about my recent lasagna...  help me!
    I think you simply have bumped your head and need rest. You not only have forgotten how to cook but forgot the XL has only been around for a few years, since 2006, so how could you have cooked on it for almost 2 decades? Rest, you need rest.....
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Amy S.
    Options
    When that happens to me it means that I am pregnant.