Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Disapointed

msmieja
msmieja Posts: 3
edited September 2011 in Root

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> 

Fellow Eggheads:

I just purchased the XL BGE here in Scottsdale AZ this past
weekend and I have to say, amidst all the hype from family and friends, I was
really disappointed.

The store I purchased it from charged $160+ to assemble (not
including nest) so I thought I would go it alone.  I have very good skills from over 30 years in
the engineering/constr. Industry and I have survived every Christmas Eve toy
assembly!

First of all, when I opened the package I immediately noticed
the top was chipped and one of the internal rings had a large piece missing (
it did not seem to impact the functionality).

Secondly, the package containing the nest was not compatible
with the XL BGE!!!!  The drilled holes
for the caster wheels wee to small in diameter and the cross braces would not
align!   And to make matters worse, the
instructions are horrible!!!

I had to run to my local ACE Hardware and rig up something
myself!  Currently it is sitting on my
patio on top of a piece of cardboard with no wheels.   If I go back to the store I will have to
dis-assemble the entire unit in order to swap out a new nest, this thing weighs
160+ lbs.!!!!

Is this what I can expect from the BGE?

Comments

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948

Sounds like part of the problem lies with your dealer....starting with the $160 assembly charge.  I would think dealers would do about anything to close a deal on a high priced item like an XL BGE these days.  Anyway, I would take the part that is chipped and the other one that doesn''t fit back to the dealer and they should replace for free.  If not, you can always call the mothership.  Have any pictures?

Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • msmieja, just out of curiosity, was the $160 to assemble and deliver, or was it just to assemble the Egg and then you would transport it home?  I can see the charge if they were going to assemble it and deliver it, but if you are picking it up and taking it home.  that seems outrageous.  I think I'd call the dealer, explain all your problems and tell them that you expect them to come and either bring a new assembled replacement or come out with replacement parts and a new nest, etc. 
    The Naked Whiz
  • If this is an example of the "new" company and it's training of dealers, then it won't be long before Eggheads are sending friends to the Primo store!

That service sucks!
  • Salty Hogs BBQ
    Salty Hogs BBQ Posts: 171
    edited September 2011
    If this is an example of the "new" company and it's training of dealers, then it won't be long before Eggheads are sending friends to the Primo store!

That service sucks!
    What?  I know many on the old timers site like to bash and throw hate around for the new management (hell they will blame them for world hunger if they could), but the fact is there has been a few bad dealers for a long time.  This is nothing new.  Fortunately this doesn't happen very often, but to blame the new management for this is just plain stupid and pathetic.  Bash them if you don't like this site or the decisions they make directly, but to blame them for things outside of their control (when this type of things has happened in the past BEFORE the new guys took  over) is just plain spiteful and pathetic.

BTW, before I bought my BGE,I looked at the Primo and the dealer who sold them wasn't very friendly nor knowledgeable.  I blamed the dealer, not the corp office.  If we expect the corp office to oversee every dealer, then we would pay thousands for a ceramic grill.  It just isn't feasible.  Common sense says that dealers would do the right thing because it will help them have a more profitable business and one that will grow.  If not, they will not be around long.
  • It could be that you had problems with your nest because BGE in the last year and a half or so ( maybe two yrs now) changed the design of the nest on several models to give the nests a wider footprint and larger casters. The new nests look almost the same as the old nests. If the dealer mixed up newer parts with older parts they had in the back room this could explain your issue. The dealer should take care of you, if not call corporate.
  • All

Thanks for the feedback, I went back to the dealer and they swapped out the parts.  I am back in action.  Yes regarding the $160, that charge is just for set up!!!  Can you imagine lifting the entire BGE assembled into the back of a pick-up truck?  No way, it would have to have a Tommy-lift.

On a positive note, i made carolina pulled pork this weekend (2- 10lbs) it was amazing.

Thanks to all the Eggheads, looking foward to swaping recipies advice

Cheers!

• Rick's Tropical Delight and I put a rather warm, fully assembled XL into the back of his pickup truck at an Eggfest, so it certainly can be done.  It's only around 200 pounds, as I recall. 
    The Naked Whiz
  • Glad the dealer fixed you up! Welcome to the community.  =D>
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike Bar.