Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High Temp Silicone Gasket Maker

stevep
stevep Posts: 10
edited September 2011 in Forum List
I'm thinking about using RTV Silicone Gasket Maker (available thru Permatex or NAPA Auto Parts) as the bonding agent around installing my new BGE High Heat Replacement Gasket Kit. Has anyone here ever used this? It sez its good to go as high as 650 degrees, and while I routinely exceed that for steaks etc, I figure it should hold better than Elmers White, which Ive used for the last three years on a Rutland gasket.

Any opinions? Other options?

Comments

• my 'red" rtv gasket  that i made eight years ago  is still  working  fine......i'm  the "original " inventor of  said  gasket...... when  the  red one  is no longer viable.....  i'd use  the  gold stuff  it  has a higher temp rating....i only used the  red stuff cause that's  what i  had in my tool box at the  time.....just place a  bead of goop around the  bottom  edge.....  place some plastic  wrap  that  has been oiled with pam....olive oil etc....  close the  lid.... let it sit over night.... and you will have a  perfectly formed gasket..... don't  forget to pull  the  plastic  off.....  ranger ray
  • @ranger ray,,,so you dont use the "nomex aramid" gasket at all??????
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited September 2011
    This is the one I used with my Rutland gasket.  It's the one I've seen most people use and recommend.
    Rated up to 700 degrees.  Got it at an auto parts store for about $5-$6 bucks.  Worked great!

Packerland, Wisconsin

• I'm using the Ultra copper by itself and its working great.  No more airgaps after burning through too many gaskets to count (including the nomex)
  • i have  my temps up  to  900  and way more.........  the   red stuff is still  there( i hear the  anthem  in the background)......... and the    rock ets      red  glare/    gave proof the  thu...... the rtv is is still  there........... oh say///////  enough......... llol........rr   the  gasket  thing is  sooooo  dramatic!!!!!!!!
  • KB
    KB Posts: 144
    Why is a gasket necessary? Mine burnt off about a year ago, and I can maintain low, steady temps without a gasket.  When my BBQ Guru fan provides a burst to the Egg, I'll see smoke coming from the seam as well as the upper vent. For high temp cooks, like pizza, I don't believe that the added venting of an absent gasket makes a difference.  Am I missing something beside my gasket?  I'd prefer to have a new one (it looks nicer) but replacement is more complicated than the status quo.   
  • I imagine you would be able to shut down the fire quicker and save charcoal? 
  • KB
    KB Posts: 144
    Thanks Linbird, that is a reason.  I have a lot of leftover charcoal from my cooks, but I assume I would have a more if I had a functional gasket.  Surprisingly, I have more leftover charcoal from my long, slow cooks than I do the short, high-temp ones, such as pizza.

I wonder what a graph would look like that shows the amount of charcoal needed to sustain 215 deg and 600 deg over time.