Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to do a "raised direct cook?

Options
Mawger
Mawger Posts: 40
edited September 2011 in Forum List

Can you tell me how to do the raised direct way of grilling.  I assume you raise the grill, but with what? 

Also, thought I'd share that we just purchased the tongs and spatula by Green Egg.

They are awesome! 

Thanks,

Sandy

Comments

• Rusty Rooster
    Options
    BGE or ceramicgrillstore both sell raised grids.  You could set a few firebrick splits around the edge of your firebox, then set your grate on top of them or if it is not a long cook, just put a lot less lump in, thus increasing the space between your fire and the reglar grate position.
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    firebricks are commonly used. setting them on the inside wall of the egg and placing the grill on top of that. or if you have two grill grates, you can set the firebricks on one and then place the 2nd on top. 

in my xl, I use the grill grate that came with the egg. I put the lump reducing ring on top and then the 18" grill grate on top of that.
    context is important :)
  • Mawger
    Options
    Raised grid will be next on our list to purchase. Thanks for the response.
  • Spoon
    Spoon Posts: 328
    Options
    Some folks get a second grate and use bolts and washers to raise it up. I have a Woo3 from the ceramic grill store and love it, I also got the Woo3 extender to go even higher in the dome.
    "Pork so tender you can pull it with a spoon." ~Spoon
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Took me a bit to sort out the BGE language-as noted above, raised grid refers to the height of the cooking surface,, generally about felt line height and achieved by any of the above suggestions.  Direct obviously is cooking without a barrier between food and fire.  Platesetter or any barrier between fire and food becomes indirect and the convection oven (or low and slow) for long cooks.  Still learnin'-good luck.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BBQ Hippie
    Options
    I bought a second grill from home depot along with 3 five inch stainless steel bolts nuts and washers. I used them to make my own raised grid. I use it a lot with chicken. I put the BGE. Grill in and then my raised grid on top. It puts the cooking surface at the grid level. I also built a smaller 13 inch grid the same way. I can the do three levels direct and two levels indirect with the platesetter.