Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question

sidedish
sidedish Posts: 8
edited August 2011 in Forum List
I just cooked some Stuffed peppers on my Egg, they have been on for about 20 minutes at 400 indirect cook.  When I opened the lid everything was covered in what is best described as frost?    It does not appear to be ash.   Any suggestions?   

The Charcoal is Weekend Warrior, using a plate setter for indirect cook, I have had my egg for 6 months and this has never happened before any ideas what is going on?

Thanks!

Comments

• Ricky B
    Ricky B Posts: 28
    Okay, did you put charcoal in or ice? (LOL). Sounds to me like its ash. How long did you let the egg heat up before putting on the peppers? The coals should not be smoking when food is put on the grill. Otherwise, are you way up north?
    RickyB
  • Rick!  I let is heat up for about 25 minutes!   1st 15 lid up, after some was gone, then lid down!   till the temp hit 425.    Only in Gloucester, MA

Far from FL but not in Canada! 

• Ricky B
    Were the stuffed peppers frozen? I still think it's ash. I had that problem with a pizza one time. let the egg preheat, all was good and when I opend the lid to remove the pizza every thing was covered with a very fine white ash (looked like it could have been frost). I blew on it and it was definately ash, why I don't know. It was the same charcoal i use all the time and never had this probel before. I blew and brushed off as much as I could, didn't seem to affect the pizza though. It was still very good. Don't know where your "frost" could be comimng from, It sure isn't mold due to heat and if mold, it would have been there before you lit the grill and could not have grown that quickly. So, I think it's ash.
    Interesting though.
    RickyB
  • Thanks, Garden Fresh picked and stuffed! This doesn't blow off that is why I was concerned.   Thanks for the help.   A little cleanup and on goes the Butt! 

Thom

• Ricky B
    Well Thom, if you figure it out I sure would like to know what it was. This is good info to share with others.
    Thanks and enjoy!
    RickyB
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Wicked Good is one of my favorite lumps, but it is harder to light than RO, so I'm wondering if 25 min. was a long enough wait for the lump to be burning clean before putting the peppers on?
  • Thank you, I dod have a bit of a time getting it lit originally now that you mention it.  

Thom