Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WOO 3 Extender

HarleyDoug
HarleyDoug Posts: 69
edited August 2011 in Forum List
I'm looking for a "good" extender so I can smoke more than 2 racks of ribs at one time (I usually buy from Sam's & they're packaged 3 slabs per pk)- Since I will be using the plate setter I would appreciate feedback on using the plate setter/grate/WOO3 extender grate -- I'm also wondering if I would have room for 4 8 lb ea boston butts - I can do 2 with the plate setter & grate

Thanks in advance

Comments

• What size is your egg?
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited August 2011
    FWIW, I do 3 slabs on my large Egg on the main grid.  They may overlap a little, but no big deal.

As for butts if you use the three level grid, you can place a pizza stone on the bottom as your heat deflector, then 3 butts on each of the top two levels.  If you only want to do 4 butts, all you need is the BGE Raised Grid.  Good luck!

Edit: I am assuming you have a large egg?
    The Naked Whiz
  • Thanks much & yes my BGE is a large - so  I getting is that the plate setter - BGE grid and the extended grid will work well -  my problem before with the plate setter & BGE grid was that one rack was getting direct heat past the plate setter.

Thanks much
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    If you are using a plate setter no problem doing 3 racks on a rib rack. I go every other rack so they don't touch.

George
    George
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited August 2011
    The Woo3 extender is very well made and is perfect for what you are thinking of doing.  I would (and did) purchase it as opposed to the BGE extender.  It is made of polished stainless, and it is very simple, very sturdy, and reasonably priced.  It is slightly smaller than your main grid to account for the dome walls ... so keep that in mind.
  • Thanks everyone for the input -  I would like to give a "shout out" to Tom w/Ceramic Grill - after ordering the WOO 3 extender I called Tom and he was most helpful and professional - he really took the time to discuss my concerns - a great purchasing/customer service expierence

• Spoon
    Spoon Posts: 328
    +1 for CGS. I have the Spider, Woo3, and Woo3 extender and love them all.
    "Pork so tender you can pull it with a spoon." ~Spoon
  • More kudos to Tom @ Ceramic Grill. He assisted me with my adjustable rig combo and even helped me to cancel a previous order without a hitch. Great customer service.