Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Having troubles with my Egg

CrazyHarry
CrazyHarry Posts: 112
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
My wife bought me a Medium Big Green Egg for Father's day and I've enjoyed it very much!

Unfortunately, last month I slid the lower vent open and the metal screen got caught on something and bent back. I was unable to fix it, so I cut the bent part off but I still can't open or close it. (The outer metal panel still opens and closes.)

My DFMT has always been very loose and it actually fell off once when I opened lid. Ever since then I have opened the lid VERY slowly. During tonight's cook I opened the lid slowly but I didn't have the DFMT aligned properly so it sort of spun around. As it twisted it actually corkscrewed up and came off. It hit the patio and one of the pieces of metal that holds the handle on broke off.

Has anyone else run into any of these issues? I know the ceramics have a lifetime warranty, but that part of my Egg is fine. Is this other stuff covered by any kind of warranty?

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I think the draft door would be covered for 5 years (I think...not sure). The DFMT would be covered if it is defective, however they fit fairly loose. I've had mine fall off before on my large, and the small isn't any tighter. One tip is to try to line the screw up where the top wheel doesn't fall open...and open the lid slowly ;).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Go post your question on the other forum at greeneggers.com, and someone will give you the link to a post with photos. The key is lining up the silver screw on top of the metal cap with front of the egg. Then, if you are using the large gap on the metal top (not the daisy wheel petals), you turn it a little different so that when you open the egg the setting on the top does not change--nor does it fall off. Good luck--once I saw that post with photos I have never had a problem.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited August 2011
    Here is a link to my FAQ entry on keeping the daisy wheel (a.k.a. Dual Function Metal Top) in place when you open the lid. It has a series of photos showing you how to set the top in different positions. Good luck!

How To Set Your Daisy Wheel
    The Naked Whiz
  • That is the photo layout I was talking about showing how to set the metal top to avoid falling off and keeing your settings the same--could not remember where it was. Should have known it was on nakedwhiz.
  • For the old time Eggers, I should mention that the idea for those photos came from Tim M, if you remember him. Last I heard he is still Eggin' out on the Outer Banks.
    The Naked Whiz
  • What they said, I also noticed that with use, that happened a little bit less. I guess that it is the build up of soot overtime that stiffens it up.
  • The other thing you can do is add a felt gasket seal around bottom of chimney. As shown on nakedwhiz, the Kamado Joe comes with this from the factory. Not a bad idea. Here is link which shows a photo of chimney gasket:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/kamadojoe/kjclassic2.htm

• CrazyHarry
    I normally do turn the DFMT so it doesn't spin, but sometimes I don't think of it until I open the Egg for the first time. That is what happened last night.

I don't know if anyone at BGE will believe me but I EASED the lid open (it probably took 4 seconds to go from fully closed to fully open) and it still fell off and broke.
  • I normally do turn the DFMT so it doesn't spin, but sometimes I don't think of it until I open the Egg for the first time. That is what happened last night.

I don't know if anyone at BGE will believe me but I EASED the lid open (it probably took 4 seconds to go from fully closed to fully open) and it still fell off and broke.
    I don't think it's covered under warranty for dropping it on the ground, no matter how "easily" you opened it :-(

I think you said 1 of the tabs broke off? I would just use JB Weld to "glue" it back on & it should be fine.

BTW, some folks put a single ring of the felt gasket material around the outside of the "neck" of the Egg - that helps take up some of the gap, and gives the DFMT something to "grab on" to in order to keep it from falling off - funny thing, that seems to be a better use of that CRAPPY gasket material than to actually use it as a gasket anyway!!! :-"
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Amy S.
    Amy S. Posts: 70
    But it really shouldn't be falling off at all and you shouldn't have to fix it yourself. At first I was taking the top off, when I opened it. Then, I tried it with leaving it on and there was no problem. Have you talked to your dealer or called customer support?

I know it is aggravating, when something doesn't work correctly. Especially, something expensive.
  • GeekGod
    GeekGod Posts: 52
    I would give BGE a call and select the customer support option from the voice menu and speak to Duane

(770) 938-9394; (800) 793-2292
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    There is something about the shape of the dome of some Egg that prevents the DFMT from sitting properly.  That's not something you can prevent, so you should call BGE, the fix suggested to put some extra gasket material is a good suggestion.  It also helps if you glue it to the inside of your ceramic cap.  Its a much better seal and help put your fire out when your done.
  • I've wondered sometimes if the spring hinge allows the top to open further than the old autolock hinge.  I've never had a top fall off my large or medium eggs with autolock hinges.  But then I've never had a top fall of my small with spring hinge, either...  Never mind, :)
    The Naked Whiz
  • Mine fell off and broke,so I drilled a hole in the replacement ($55.00) and ran a screw through it to butt up against the egg.
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    Do you have the piece that fell off? Just JB Weld it. :)  I once fixed an intake manifold on my dune buggy with jb weld. Held strong...

Ted
  • TRPIV
    Regarding the metal screen:

Sounds like you've got a piece of the screen jammed up in the slider or someplace.

You may need to remove the entire metal door (4 screws) and possibly a razor blade (if it's silicone'd on)... Pop it off and see what's up.

• I hope it is siliconed on.  If not, I'd remove it and use silicone to re-install it.
    The Naked Whiz
  • TRPIV
    edited August 2011
    I hope it is siliconed on.  If not, I'd remove it and use silicone to re-install it.
    +1 to that...
  • Check with your dealer first, hopefully they will help you out. 

You can JB Weld the DFMT if necessary.  I found that after a few months, it built up enough "seasoning" that it would stay better and not fall off, but when I replaced my gasket, I put a couple of pieces on the inside and now it hold on tight.
  • Pjoe
    Pjoe Posts: 224
    Kinda sucks that as much as these things cost, we have to put up with this. I love my Egg but I expected the top to stay on and a gasket that would handle what the Egg is designed to do!
    Bill
    LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING
  • CrazyHarry
    I called Duane in Customer Support today and he was were extremely nice and helpful.  They're going to take care of me.

I'm very impressed!!

Thanks for the help and suggestions on this forum, too!