Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do I cook my first eggfest?

DrugCoder
DrugCoder Posts: 219
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
I have a recipe to do, but eggtoberfest will be my first eggfest. Should I cook this one or just go to enjoy the atmosphere this time and get a feel for how they run and cook the next one? IF I end up cooking, how many servings should I prepare for? Not sure since this is the largest eggfest...

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    This is a tough call...cooking is the most fun to me. However I did just walk around the first time to get a feel for what it is like. There is another fest next spring. It is the GA Mtn fest and will be held in Hiawasse, GA...that is a great fest and would be great to get your feet wet...my email is
    bludyung@yahoo.com
    if you want to chat...
  • I was in the same boat and decided to go and get a feel for it first. Next year I will definitely do some eggin'.
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    I cooked my first year. But I have always leaped before I look. I found it not as above my head as I thought. I will add though I hooked up with Vidalia1 and
    Others before and went with experienced eggers.

If you do decide to do it you won't be alone. There will be eggers everywhere to lean on.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • We cooked our first year and was glad we did. I'd definitely connect with an egger who has been before though just to get a walk through of the day. As far as how many servings...the people will just take a small serving - like literally 3-4 bites worth. Everybody cooking will have their things ready at different times and after they've served up whatever they just cooked, they cook some more. Don't plan on cooking something that takes 3 hours to cook because then you'll only be able to "serve" twice and people will be walking by your table looking at you and asking "when will it be ready?". Just like at home! :)

A couple of tips: triple check that you have everything from cooking utensils, oven/grill mitts, small paper plates to serve on, a package of regular napkins to hand out, cooler to keep the meat cold, a couple of containers of "wipes" to keep your area clean, jug of water to rinse things off (no sink or running water nearby). Nice added touches are: printed copies of your recipe (about 100), a sign that tells everybody what you've cooked and when the next "batch" will be ready. Be sure to write the ingredients on the sign if it contains something a lot of people are allergic to. I made a breakfast bread last year and I had so many people ask " does it have nuts in it?" that I ended up writing "no nuts" on the sign.

Hope these hints were helpful! See you there - either cooking or not!
  • Sneezix
    Sneezix Posts: 40
    edited August 2011
    I made a breakfast bread last year and I had so many people ask " does it have nuts in it?" that I ended up writing "no nuts" on the sign.
    Dangnabbit, Sue_z_que, I was going to try that breakfast bread, but I thought that you made the sign to exclude me!
  • DrugCoder
    DrugCoder Posts: 219
    Thanks for the info! I think I'm leaning towards just going and getting a feel for it this year and then cooking at the N. GA fest. Hope to see y'all there!
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    I say cook, but don't go overboard. Cook one or two things and pace yourself so you also have time to walk around and see everything. It's a long day and it's nice to have a home base plus we all enjoy cooking so...........
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ