Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Alton and Rice Tonight

Options
wdan
wdan Posts: 261
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I caught just the end of Alton's show tonight when he was talking about using different ratios of rice to water depending on how much rice you want to cook. Man, I have never heard of this, let alone done anything like it. OTOH: I usually make a one (dry) cup batch or sometimes double it. Not sure where/why Alton would really want to change proportions within that range. Trick for me has always been bring to rolling boil, then cover and reduce to simmer for 25 minutes...AND DON"T LOOK AT IT AND YES I AM YELLING AT ANYONE WHO DOES WANT TO LOOK AT IT! If you do, you deserve what you get.[p]To get back on topic: Grilled Talapia and Chilean Sea Bass filets tonight. For a change, both were good (when you live in a land-locked country like Wisconsin, you learn to be wary of store-bought fish and usually buy two different kinds...especially saltwater kind)which in itself was a surprise. I threw caution to the wind and did not use any smoking wood (I normally use a lot of Alder). But I did serve the fish with a mild Hollandaise sauce. Other than fresh local freshwater stuff caught locally, the standard line here is "The fish was great, it didn't have a fishy taste at all."[p]Fishlessman, is there really a heaven, or only Iowa?

Comments

1044 Posts: 93
    Options
    WDAN,
    Well, he is right, in my experience. I have no trouble in smaller batches, but big batches killed me. [p]I tried, unsuccessfully, to make 12 cups dry measure. Well, if you put in 24 cups of water, you will have mush in the bottom and hard rice on top.[p]A lady told me to try 12 cups rice, 13 cups water. It made perfect rice, top to bottom. However, I didn't want to experiment for other sizes, so, I cheated. I gave up and bought a large rice cooker. Perfect every time.

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    wanna cheat and get it right? Wash your rice if your the type that does, pour water in, no measurements except for your middle finger, bring water up to the first joint of your middle finger, placing your finger on top the rice (of course)Full boil, when the water is absorbed, simmer, covered for 25 minutes. Perfect rice everytime no matter what size crowd your cooking for.HTH

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Chef Wil,
    Aww man, all that money for culinary school and all those hours sweating it out that I did and you go and give away the one good secret?!![p]I'm gonna report you to the ACF...lmao

Options
    Chef Wil,[p]Well, duh. That's how I do small pots. You would think I would have the sense to try with a large pot. But...you would be wrong. Ima moron. Thanks, Chef Wil.[p]Howard B[p]P.S. Didja get my email, earlier?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    WDAN,
    what does the talapia taste like, ive heard it is in the perch family, does it taste like perch. even living on the seacoast im a little wary of the store bought stuff, who knows where they caught it and how long ago. ive traded a good tasting small haddock that was caught in the morning for a large lowly pollock caught in the end of the day just for the freshness. cant beat the fresh stuff.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • wdan
    Options
    fishlessman,
    It has a milder flavor, i.e. my kids even like it. The ones I get around here are all farm-raised (where, I don't know, but like everything else, it comes to the store frozen). Perch family? I could see that...very similar texture and the flavor doesn't seem to be too different either. [p]I think you're right about the freezing practices these days. The ultimate drivers of the flavor I'm guessing are more related to how long they were frozen and also how long they were defrosted before I bought them!

• Chef Wil
    Options
    yup and responded to 'em on board.........lol

• Chef Wil
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    hehehehehe

• Chef Wil
    Options
    WDAN,
    FWIW... all talapia are farm raised. If they ever would get put in a lake or stream they would take over in a short period of time. I have seen where you can take a talapia and put it at the bank of the pond for 3 hours, put it back in the water and it survives. This is a very good eating fish but very dangerous if it ever gets in a lake or stream.

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Chef Wil,[p]That's funny right there, boys. [p]Now how about giving me the secret to good homemade hollandaise sauce...
  • Unknown
    Options
    This will probably get me run out of town on a rail, but I've always been fond of 'microwave risotto'.. Excellent results every time.[p]1 cup of arborio
    1 can chicken stock
    "some" chopped onion
    "some olive oil" (3 oz or so)
    1/2 cup (or more) parmesan cheese.[p]Put olive oil in a casserole dish. Microwave 1 minute.
    Put in chopped onion. Microwave two minutes, stir.
    Put in dry rice. Microwave 5 minutes. Stir.
    Put in chicken stock. Microwave 9 minutes. Stir.
    Microwave another 9 minutes.. Check moisture level and texture. Adjust liquid and cooking time if necessary.[p]Fold in parmesan.[p]Y'all enjoy...[p]-Michael in Houston

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Chef Wil,
    the non believers who dont own a bge, so fast to criticize

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • wdan
    Options
    Chef Wil,
    Is it some kind of genetically engineered critter? They must have some way to keep the birds out of the farm ponds so the eggs can't get scattered (maybe indoor facilities). Sounds like I wouldn't want to sleep wit deez fishes anyway!

Options
    fishlessman,
    All I have is a couple o' wsm's and big a$$ Klose. I wanna BGE. I wanna BGE. Waaaahhhh! I wanna BGE!

• PapaHarley
    PapaHarley Posts: 17
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    I know you asked Chef Wil, but here's a site that gives a good bit of information about tilapia. Had it when I was in Israel, fresh caught and it was wonderful.[p]http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extpubs/alt-ag/tilapia.htm

• Chef Wil
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    I use a Vita Mix blender, the baffles create the heat needed to make the sauce,
    3 eggs, separated
    1 tablespoon water
    1 lemon, juiced
    1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
    Salt and white pepper to taste
    place all in the blender and blend for about 1 minute, when you feel the mixture getting warm, start adding butter, about 2 tablespoons at a time, use 6 tablespoons of butter total.
    The key to make a great sauce is to make certain you don't have any egg whites at all, no membranes, nothing but the yolks.
    The preferred method is a double boiler but I use the mixer.HTH