Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon, Onion, Cheddar, Potato Casserole

Options
Tim (Watkinsville)
Tim (Watkinsville) Posts: 106
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
So I got some thick sliced bacon and lined my cast iron wok with that. Added sliced potatoes, sharp cheddar cheese, Vidalia onion slices and, of course, Dizzy Dust. This was cooked direct on my XL at 375 until the bacon brown up nicely. I used a turkey baster to pipette the grease off as it accumulated, that helped the bacon on the bottom to stay crisp. After the cook, I drained it on a cookie rack over a cookie sheet lined with paper towels. This was insanely good, but I can only do this once a year or so. Otherwise I think my heart just might blow up!

Watkinsville, Ga   XL, Medium

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    that looks really good. could you just do that on the cooling rack over the pan to keep from having to drain it? how long did it take?

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Tim (Watkinsville)
    Options
    I cooked it a little over an hour. I didn't think to just rack it up to start with. I may try that next time, thanks for the idea. I pulled a good bit of bacon grease out, I'd have to use a pretty deep drip pan.
    Watkinsville, Ga   XL, Medium
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    sounds like you have to cook some eggs now with all that grease :)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb