Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt Temperature

twovkay
twovkay Posts: 42
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
Been a while since I did 2 pork butts, but I can't seem to get my egg to the 225-250 range. It currently sitting at 280-290, will this be a problem for my butt? Should I try to close the vents completely?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• pokey
    pokey Posts: 59
    You may have your vent open a little too much. With small amounts of food I have had trouble keeping the temp lower but never had difficulty keeping it around 250. Don't close it completely as your egg will go out if you aren't careful (had it happen to me). Keep closing your vent until it stabilizes around 250 and watch for a few hours to make sure it doesn't go out. Hope this helps.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Sounds like your gasket is shot ?
  • Run with a temp that is stable. Your 280-290 is close to the temp you need to maintain.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• twovkay
    Thanks everyone, got it down to 275, will close it more until I can get it to 250. Will check the gasket when I'm done with this cook.
  • Daddyo
    Daddyo Posts: 224
    Thanks everyone, got it down to 275, will close it more until I can get it to 250. Will check the gasket when I'm done with this cook.
    If you can't hold down to 225 or so, you've got a gasket issue. Holding at 250 should be easy.
  • twovkay
    How do you know when you need a gasket? What should I be looking for? It looked okay when I cleaned and checked the egg before the cook.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    if you see smoke comming from the gasket area then you need a new one. or maybe you dont there are some who cook with no gasket my small has no gasket and it cooks fine

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb