Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My First Clucker

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,467
edited August 2011 in Forum List
Finally tried my first chicken on my Large.  I brined the bird overnight, rubbed it with oil and sprinkled it with Dizzy Pig's "Swamp Venom" rub, mounted it on a vertical roaster, and scattered potatoes, celery, carrots, anaheim chile and slivered garlic in the pan.  Smoked with hickory at 350 degrees, about two hours.  When it read 170 in the thigh, I pulled the bird and checked the breast, it was over 180!  :(   Surprisingly, the breastmeat was perfect and so were the wings (I'll try the legs & thighs for supper tonight).  The potatoes needed to be parboiled a bit, and the veggies burned on the bottom of the pan, will have to put the platesetter on the grill first next time.  
Otherwise, absolutely delicious and juicy as all heck (note to Self: buy a cutting board with a juice groove around the perimeter).  I love that smoker! 

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

Comments

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Great pic, Botch..................if he tasted half as good as he looked, you had a super meal. Well done! ;-) John in Oregon
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Well, you inspired me! Did a 5.9 lb bird direct, raised, at 350-375, 1-1 1/2 hours. Crispy skin, moist, delicious. Appreciate the leadership!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Botch - outstanding!

1) You can do a standing chicken upside down and the breast will be less cooked than the thigh, or
    2) You can do a spatchcock chicken (You Tube the technique) and it will more evenly cook - AND faster.

An indirect cook will be helpful for the veggies - remember to put some kind of spacer btwn the platesetter and the bottom of the drip pan to reduce the burning in the pan.

Welcome to one of the great advantages of the Egg - moist, tender chicken!

Clark
    Madison, MS
    Old Forum name: Misippi Egger
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Options
    Both good looking birds... roasted yard bird is quite tasty!
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com