Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How/why did you get your first egg?

2»

Comments

• I blame all of you. :)

It is all your fault I dropped mad cash on my LBGE. And the Thermapen. And the Maverick ET-732. And the Spyder. And raised grid. And the pizza stone. And the small cast iron grid for TRexing my steaks. Yep, I blame all of you. I couldn't possibly be the one responsible for buying all this stuff myself in the last month.
  • IQ2
    IQ2 Posts: 37
    I've had my egg for 3 weeks now, and can't say enough good things about them. I have 4 other pits, but the moisture retention, no flare ups, and cooking in the winter are the reasons I looked into the egg. This is the ultimate, no doubt. So far, the reviews of my meals have been top notch from family and friends. Have fun!
    Paula West Texas
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    The very first time I moved out on my own I owned a hibatchi. The grills just got bigger at every place I moved.I had joined my first forum, Barbeque bible. That was 05. I was on there for about a year and someone mentioned a ceramic cooker. There was a discussion of the ceramic brands out there. That conversation was with me for a month. I started looking around town for an egg. No deealer at that time sold them here. I headed up to Denver and a friend took me around to some Ace stores. The 4th store I walked in to and saw a treagger and an egg. I went to the egg and said I want one. At that time I had no idea of the different sizes. Dealer says that is the only one left, the floor model. I asked for a discount, got it. He dismantled enough to get in my car. I found the forum a few months later. I now have a large, that original medium and the mini.
    Life changing!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Our gasser had died again and we were sick of replacing parts. i had been cruising online line looking at grills and came across the egg. no dealer anywhere near us and this was back when there was a few online dealers and I ordered my large online. that was 8 or 9 years ago and i never looked back. Neil was not to impressed when he saw it or what i spent LOL and it was about what a small is now! We have adopted or rescued a few others and bought a few.. I do not have to count one of our smalls as it lives with our son, so we have 8 eggs, between two houses. We have spread the love with family and friends who have dined with us and caught the fever ha ha. talk about the ripple affect!! We cook about every night on the egg.. and I cook every thing on it. but the very best part of the egg I did not even know I was going to get when I bought it LOL the fests and friends we have made are all part of the package.
  • gee
    gee Posts: 71
    Glad to have a helped!!
    Who cares I'll post where I want
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I had heard of BGE years and years ago from a friend who would talk about them, how great they were and how you could go to eggfests and get them cheap after being demo'd for one day. He always talked about them, but never did anything about getting one. I would just nod and say ok while I continued to cook on my brinkman offset or my gas grill.

About a year ago, The wife and I were out in California attending her sister's wedding. Stacie's best friend was there and she works for a place that sells BGE. Well, me and her husband got to talking bbq and he went on and on about his egg. I still wasn't buying all the hype, thinking I can fit more on my offset and it's a lot cheaper. They told me to do some research and when I decided that I wanted one, they could get me a great deal on one.

So I looked, and found this place and read and read and last year went to the Plano Eggfest. That sold it for me and we picked up an egg from our friends the next time we saw them. Now I just have to decide on whether I want a mini, a small or another large for my next egg and start saving up. I couldn't be happier.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    I was baking bread, trying out new recipes and wearing out the oven when I had the brilliant idea of building my own brick oven in the back yard. After my wife set up my first laptop I immediately started doing research on brick ovens and info came up on ceramic cookers... this hit me like a brick. This is the way to go, I thought. Not only do these crazy things bake but they BBQ like no other. My smart good woman bought me my first egg 7 years ago for Christmas. I now have 4. :cheer:
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    We were visiting a friend from college and he had one. My first thought was, "what is that rediculous looking thing"

Nearly 2 years later we were driving through Atlanta and picked up the paper. There was a BGE ad for demo egg (it was right after one of the eggtoberfests). It got me thinking of them again and I bought one a few months later. That was about 7 years and probably 6 eggs ago.
  • harps
    harps Posts: 13
    have been grilling for forty years every grill or smoker you can think of, current grill high dollar jenair. been looking at big green egg for two years wife said i didnt need one so i got one last oct have not raised the lid on the jenair since. headed to colo for eggfest can't wait
  • I'm an Air Force brat. Family is all from Nebraska, but I spent my formative years in DFW Texas. After moving to the mid-Atlantic in 1989 at age 13, it took me years to adjust to how different food was up here (You want me to eat crabs? YUCK! Might as well be eating a cockroach!)

After getting married and buying our first house, I came to the determination there was no BBQ culture north of maybe Richmond, VA. So I took it upon myself to learn about BBQ. I read a lot and there was a BBQs Galore shop next to a clothing sotre my wife liked to browse in. She would brouse blouses an dI would browse the BBQs. It got so bad, the girl who worked there knew me by name as I would drool over the BGE.

Four years ago, even though we didn't have kids, I bought myself a large BGE for Father's Day. I figured I should know what I was doing by the time any kids came along. The rest is history.

We recently built a new deck and my father finished the Naked Whiz BBQ table. We did our first cook on the deck and tbale this weekend.

img_0784.jpg?w=500&h=500

(For the record, I got over eating crabs and love 'em now. But imagine being a 13 year old kid from the midwest and Texas who'd never eaten much seafood before. When they dumped the bushel of the critters out onto the picnic table, I just about had a fit!)
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

I hope to get to try your baklava some day, I love it and I bet yours is out of the park Patty. As they say, everything in moderation. :)

Blair

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    A guy I work with gave me a small he didn't use anymore. After that I sold my 22.5" WSM and my Weber Genesis and got a large, then a mini, then a medium, and then another large. As mentioned its kind of addicting.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    :P :woohoo: :lol: :silly: :) :laugh: ;)B)
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    But did you eat crawfish in Texas? They totally repulse me but I do love shrimp and lobster and crabs.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    My son had one first, really liked it but did not jump right away as I was still pretty happy with my old DuCane. My buddy bought one, I was with him at the time and said, "Oh well, might as well Jump in the pool", or something like that. That was my first Lge, now I have four eggs! :laugh: :laugh:
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    i used to be a salesman for an auto auction. we started giving eggs away as a promo. well i worked the atlanta area at that time. so i was in charge of going and buying them...

i now have more eggs than people at my house :blink: 3

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    was nicer than my weber kettle. :) that and the salesman tried to talk me out of it :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning Rezen73:

In late 2001 we had done some remodeling (adding on a dining room and screened in porch off of the dining room)...my plan was to install a Jenn-Aire downdraft grill...my younger son told me to "check out the thing Harry (a friend in Tallahassee) cooks on called a Big Green Egg"...went on-line to investigate...really liked what I saw and got a Medium (all I could afford) in February 2002...the son who put me onto the EGG now has that Medium and my much better half and I have 4 Eggs (2 - large, 1 - small & 1 - mini)...plus the outdoor kitchen to house everything...
    P4050902.jpg

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    I like these posts... I have enjoyed reading all of them.

Why did I buy an egg? Well I have told the story to others and was met with objections, repudiations, and misinformation. I suspect I will get nothing but agreement here. B)

I have been an avid griller since my Dad first cooked on the old hibachi. One of the first things I ever bought with my own money was a Weber kettle and oh the grilled dishes I cooked. Suffice it to say I have cooked on a lot of grills.

I had read about the BGE's on many forums and heard how great they are. I have replaced thousands of dollars of rusted grills with new soon to be rusted grills. One day I just said "for all the money I have spent on metal grills, modding said grills, and buying replacement parts for them, I could have bought 2 eggs. So I found an eggfest and bought a large.

This year I added the small. I almost laugh right out loud when people post about how much they cost on other forums. Or how heavy they are. Or they are green. Or whatever lame excuse they can think of. I chuckle and think "Oh how wrong you are!"

Put simply I was tired of buying grills. So I bought the last one I will ever buy. Turns out... it was the best one all along!
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • dubah
    dubah Posts: 60
    In 1994 I got a 55 gal. drum smoker that worked o.k. but I later converted it to propane and use it as a grill. In '05 I made a garbage can smoker that worker pretty well, but was difficult to load and re-fill with charcoal. I did a litte research and found a 1950's Hasty-Bake on craigslist that was a bargain. The HB worked well but leaked air like a sieve, it was a better grill than smoker. Somehow I learned about the BGE, looked at them at the local hardware store and found this forum. I read about the Denver Eggfest and got a large in 2009. Then I amassed a bunch of accessories. After lots of learning and some good reviews I was hooked. Just got a Mini a couple of weeks ago.
    I turned the 55 gal drum into a storage unit and gave to HB to a friend for safe keeping and his use. He produced a pretty good smoked turkey in it a couple of weeks ago.
    Denver Eggfest in less than a week. B)
  • ngm
    ngm Posts: 19
    I had a few "problems" that needed to be solved at the same time.

The first is that I had bought a copy of the book "Charcuterie" by Michael Ruhlman, and got an interest in smoking things, especially making my own bacon.

The second is that my old little propane grill had parts that rusted out and I couldn't fix it any more.

The third is that our house does not have air conditioning, so I wanted a way to be able to cook outside (including baking, roasting, etc.) and not heat up the house even more.

The egg seemed to be the thing that would solve all these problems at the same time.
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Well, a friend of mine told me about the egg, as he had one. I basically did the "yeah I'll have to check that out" routine. About a year later, this year for Father's Day, my wife surprised me with a large BGE. Honestly, I had not even thought about it since we spoke about a year before on the subject. Let's just say that my $900 JennAir gas hasn't been touched since! And on the topic of the outlet folks locally helping (or not) with questions---I asked the guy here a couple questions about some of the eggcessories and his response was a glassy eyed "yeah you'll spend some money on THAT thing". I realized real quick to come back here for advice/problems. He didn't have a clue. Plus, I don't have any more in my egg than I did the other grills--plus I have bought several of them through the years. Anyway, love my egg!
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • I was turned-on to smoking about 15 years ago when I got a Bandera offset smoker for fathers day. I loved that smoker and spent many long days tending the fire (only used wood) and turning out some great smoked meats (brisket and pulled pork being my favorites). A hole finally rusted through the fire box on the Bandera a couple of months ago so I needed to find my next smoker. Over the years as a read about different techniques and recipes, the Egg always came up, and I was always intrigued with the cult-like following the Egg had. Price was always an issue though. After reading this forum for about a month, I figured it was time to bite the bullet. Have had my Large Egg for a couple months with no regrets. An absolutely awesome cooking machine!
  • RaleighGuy
    RaleighGuy Posts: 207
    As a wedding gift. I have always been a griller, always charcoal and never gas. The night before our wedding 3 months ago, my wife's aunt and uncle were at our house. They live our dream life in rural country outside of Asheville, NC. They have had bear encounters in their house. Anyways, they have had an egg about 10 years. Loved to visit them just becuase of the food, and I was always amazed at the performance of the egg. One Saturday a year and a half ago, I proposed to my wife at their house. That night, we enjoyed some delicious butt from the egg. They slice it there since it is in Western NC, but it had the most amzing smoke ring and flavor. After that night, I knew I had to have an egg. Much to my surprise, they gave us money for an egg that night at our house. The first thing I did when I got home from our honeymoom was go buy an egg. Since then, it has become a centerpiece in our lives. We enjoy nothing more than to cook with the egg, and enjoy some beverages. It has been a blessing in disguise.

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• dluvhog
    dluvhog Posts: 10
    I heard about the the BGE years ago, but just could not afford one. Knew about the concept (Kamando) grills and after my upteenth wasted gasser, it was now to take the plunge. I tried to purchase a BC but it was literally a slow boat from China. After 3 months of waiting, got feed up and went to the local pool & spa joint and purchased one. And here I'm today ready to put the fourth coat of spar varnish on my cedar table. Does this officially make me an Egghead?
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    I have been grilling and smoking for the last 15 years at least. I almost bought a Komodo cooker about eight years ago. Bought an offset smoker instead. Did lots of ribs and that was about it was good for. 5 years ago I was diagnosed with stage 4 throat and tongue cancer. No real food for almost 6 months. Once I started eating again I cooked /BBQ almost every night. Wanted to get back into serious smoking again. Went to Eggfest and bought a large. I cook on in it at least 3-4 nights a week. Food is moist and I like trying the different recipes everyone posts. Thank you all. No regrets except should have bought it sooner.