Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

AMAZING New & Simple Rib Technique!!

Options
Hillbilly-Hightech
Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, First off - so this is absolutely NOT meant as a replacement for, or any disrespect to Carwash Mike (RIP) & his famous rib recipe. It's just one that I heard of, decided to try, and had amazing results with - so I thought I'd share it here.

However, being as it was originally intended as an oven recipe, I did have to change some things up to adapt it to the Egg. Also, at the end, it calls for searing the ribs to put some "grill marks" on them - well, that didn't work out too well for me, so next time I won't even worry about that. :blush:

Anyway, here's the original, then below it is what I did to adapt it to the Egg:

ORIGINAL:

1. Cover, but don't smother, both sides of baby back ribs with rub of choice.

2. Place ribs (meat side up) in ceramic or glass baking pan.

3. Pour Samuel Adam's Cream Stout (or Guinness Stout, which works exceptionally well) into pan, at least an inch deep.

4. Cover with aluminum foil. Let sit for a couple hours.

5. Preheat oven to 320. Bake ribs (in the pan, with the beer, covered with the foil) for two and a half hours. Turn off heat. Let ribs remain in closed oven for another hour.

6. Braise ribs over hot BBQ grill. This is "show time;" all we're doing here is putting some grill marks on the meat. I usually start with about three minutes on the bone side, and then three on the meat side. While the bone side is up, I slather on my favorite BBQ sauce (Sweet Baby Rays). After braising the meat side, I turn the ribs over and quickly slather the sauce atop the ribs, and then pull them off the grill and onto a serving plate.

ADAPTATION FOR EGG:

1. Cover, but don't smother, both sides of baby back ribs with rub of choice.
> I used DP's Dizzy Dust

2. Place ribs (meat side up) in ceramic or glass baking pan
> or any dish - I just used an aluminum baking dish, it didn't seem to matter

3. Pour Samuel Adam's Cream Stout (or Guinness Stout, which works exceptionally well) into pan, at least an inch deep.
> I used Guinness Extra Stout (not sure if there's a difference between "Stout" and "Extra Stout" but the "Extra" one was the only one they had @ the store)

4. Cover with aluminum foil. Let sit for a couple hours.
> I only let sit long enough to get the Egg up to temp & for the smoke to clear up

5. Preheat oven to 320. Bake ribs (in the pan, with the beer, covered with the foil) for two and a half hours. Turn off heat. Let ribs remain in closed oven for another hour.
> I think my Egg wanted to hover around 340-ish, so I didn't try to fight it. Also, after the first 2 hrs & 15 minutes, I just closed the vents in the Egg & left the ribs right in the Egg for about 45 minutes longer as the Egg cooled down.

6. Braise ribs over hot BBQ grill. This is "show time;" (snipped yada yada)
> OK, so upon 2nd thought, I wouldn't even recommend this. I didn't even put any sauce on them, I just had different BBQ sauces for the family on the side (I like a mild, sweet sauce, the woman likes a HOT HOT sauce).

OK, so where I screwed up was, about 45 minutes into the "cool down" I opened the Egg back up, took the ribs out (and man, did they look & smell FANTASTIC) :woohoo: , and took out my platesetter & pizza stone, then stirred up the coals & placed my small grate right over the coals (just like I do when I'm doing a Trex steak).

Then I put the ribs on the grate (I figured that way I could get a nice sear right by the coals, as the air had been muffled for the last 45 minutes). As I was doing this, I decided to go back into the house & do some prep for the sides - I wasn't in the house more than 5 minutes & when I went back to the Egg to flip the ribs, I'd noticed some of then were already charred too much (and the coals were heating up too much - I guess due to the juices dripping from the ribs & causing flareups). So, what I did was just remove them ASAP & take them back inside. :blush:

img0001cfo.jpg

img0002rn.jpg

Now, that being said, I ate the overly charred ones, and to be quite honest - once I dipped them into the BBQ sauce, I couldn't even tell that they were overly charred - they were EXTREMELY tender - I'm talking FALL OFF THE BONE, and VERY juicy!! I noticed that in the pan, the beer had formed a nice "sauce" w/ the fat & drippings from the ribs, and I actually took that & poured it over my dog's food (he seemed to really like that!!) :woohoo:

Soooooo, that's my new "go to" recipe - I like it better because it's simpler (just set it & forget it), and it actually turned out juicier & more tender than my attempts @ CWM's method. Also, I didn't have to go in & "mist" - I think the aluminum covering kept all the moisture right there & none escaped...

So hopefully others can find the same success I did!!! :lol:

Rob
Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee

Comments

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    Sorry - was having problems posting the recipe as a numbered list... had to go back & edit it a few times, that's why it might have looked "unfinished" if anyone viewed the post prior to me fixing it...

My apologies - so drinks are on me!!! :P
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Sounds grate! Did you have something to add..?
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    I'm all for easy. I'll give this a try. Possibly this weekend...

I know technically ribs are not supposed to be falling off the bone, so I guess you could cook it a little less time. I don't mind falling off the bone, so I'll try it as posted the first time. I never met a rib I didn't like.
  • thailandjohn
    Options
    Just curious....when meat is cooked covered, why use the Egg and not just an oven?

Once meat is wrapped in foil or other wrapping, no additional flavor is added my using the Egg
  • nuynai
    nuynai Posts: 101
    Options
    IMHO, just so you don't heat up the house in summer and get some of that smoky goodness.
    AC is more expensive than charcoal.
    Take care.
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    I thought about that, and I did put the foil on loosely (and there were a couple "rips" in it from me trying to stretch it over the sides).

I was wondering if it would acheive the same result if I did it w/out the foil? I mean, I'm thinking that some of the liquid which turns to steam might collect on the top of the dome & still allow the meat the same advantage of having the foil in place - any thoughts on this? :huh:

All I know is that, in my EGGS-perience - any time I've tried the CWM method, while the ribs were still very good - they just weren't as tender and juicy as this method. :(

In fact, the day before - we had went to a place in Gilory called "Famous Dave's BBQ" and had their "feast sampler" which came w/ 6 ribs, and my GF said my ribs the next day were more tender than Famous Dave's!! :whistle:

Anyway, so how can I get the tenderness & juicyness, while still getting the smoky flavor?? Anyone, anyone - Bueller, Bueller??? :P
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Using foil & lids in the egg is sort of like taking a shower with a rain coat on.

Steaming/boiling ribs will make them tender and cook quicker. Too long of a cook can take them to a mushy state, which some folks like. If one wants smoke/wood flavor the meat is going to have to exposed to the smoke when cooking.

Interesting process and it looks like it will be fun to give a try.

Best part about trying new things is eating the results.

Thanks for posting.

GG
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Search for 3-1-1 rib method.

3 hours indirect on Egg at 225*, then 1 hour (give or take) dbl-wrapped in foil with honey, butter, brown sugar, apple juice - all or any combo of these. sealed tight and placed meat down on Egg - still indirect at 250-275*. Final step - uncovered, direct on egg - bones down, with or without the sauce - to firm up the bark.

I have done them by the CWM method and the above - just depends on my mood and/or time to cook, as this is a little faster than CWM.