Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump storage

Options
Charcoal Mike
Charcoal Mike Posts: 223
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all -[p]I have moved to a new home, and in the past I stored my extra lump in the garage, as my table would only hold two 10 lb bags. The garage in my new house leaves a bit to be desired in terms of storage, but I do have a walk-in type crawl space with plenty of room. Am I OK storing the extra lump in the crawl? My biggest concern is the moisture / heat factor. I have heard in the past of moist charcoal spontaneously combusting, which I consider an extreme example, but I don't want to ruin the stuff regardless.[p]Suggestions from the experts are welcome.[p]Thanks all, and I tip a glass in your direction.[p]- Mike

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Charcoal Mike:[p]Yes, but I would keep it off the ground. Currently, I store a large quantity under a covered portion of my deck on a couple of wood pallets covered with a tarp. In the past, I have stored a similar quantity in a trailer covered with a tarp. I experienced wet bags in the trailer but they are fine once they dry out.
  • Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    I store mine in some plastic tubs I bought at Wally World.
    Heres the setup, I buy 4 - 20 lb bags of lump at once, pour each tub full and stack 'em out of the way. When I get some lump, i shake the tub a little and forces the smaller pieces at the bottom, when the pieces start getting small, I go to the next box. As the boxes deplete, I fill one box with all the smaller pieces and shake again, picking out of the top and discarding all the dust and smaller pieces. Guess you could say I'm a Cajun Engineer.

• DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    Chef Wil,
    Thanks for describing your method. Think I'll make a trip to Wally's tomorrow.[p]Trying to avoid the chips and dust, recently I built a frame with a screen bottom (chicken wire) and have been screening new lump and putting the good stuff back into the bag. Man, what a mess.[p]I'm adopting your method, and I thank you for it.[p]Ah! Eggdom and learning by Forum is a wonderful thing![p]Cajun Brewskies,[p]DobieDad

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    The spontaneous combustion thing is an urban legend. See my FAQ if you are interested:[p]TNW

[ul][li]Lump Charcoal FAQ entry on wet charcoal[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,[p]definitely a 'bubba meisa' (urban legend). I store mine in a concrete room under my porch and it's fine. There probably is a slight amount moisture in the air b/c a few days ago I put a bunch of lump in my pit and for 10 minutes or so I could hear it making these snap crackle sounds (moisture evaporating I guess). Then the sounds stopped. It burnt fine.
  • Yazoo
    Yazoo Posts: 145
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,[p]Unless you can seal it in an air tight container, I would vote against a damp storage area, like a crawl space . If the lump absorbs moisture, it will spark and pop like crazy when you light it. What about the attic?

• Eggecutioner
    Eggecutioner Posts: 628
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,[p]I saw someone used those rubbermaid storage tubs. But raised off the bottom it had a piece of hardware cloth. It looked like it was 1/4" X 1/4" mesh, but it may have been 1/2" X 1/2" mesh. I think the larger size would be better. Then every time you pick up the "TUB" and move it a little the dust and small stuff has a place to fall through. This is what I intend to use, I am going to design my table/cabinet to hold a couple of these.

• Love Handles
    Love Handles Posts: 253
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    I keep my lump in a 20 gallon metal trash can that has worked great for me. The lid seems to fit tight and I haven't experienced any moisture problems that I can tell. Although, living in Arizona, we don't get to much moisture anyway--See-Yaa

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    2005222719.jpg
    <p />Charcoal Mike,
    i keep a pallet in the basement. dirt floor and wet, the lump doesnt go bad. i dry it out in the living room and use thes bags for cooking

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it