Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Apple Chips for BB Rib cook

Options
friscotex
friscotex Posts: 78
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Planning to cook some CWMike Ribs this afternoon. I don't usually use wood chips, but have decided to add some apple chips today for experimentation.

Questions:
1. Do you need to soak the chips?
2. When do I add them?
3. How 'smokey' will the apple chips be? We don't like overly smokey taste, so I probably want less vs more. What's a good place to start? A cup? 2 cups?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    No need to soak otherwise when you put them on they turn to steam and cool the egg. Spread them throughout the lump, a good hand full should work just fine.
  • friscotex
    Options
    Should I just scatter them in at the same time I put on the ribs?
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    1. Do not soak chips. The limited 02 supply in the egg prevents chips from bursting into flame. Never any need to soak.

2. Mix them throughout the lump when you start. Don't worry about the heavy smoke at first, you don't want that anyway. As the fire stabilizes the visible smoke will disappear, but do not fear, the good smoke is still there.

3. Apple is my favorite smoking wood for pork. It imparts a very mild flavor. Hard to tell you how much to use. My wife dosen't like much smoke either, so I use a couple of handfuls scattered in the lump. I like to use chunks also when I have them. I just put one or two in the middle of the lump.
    You will have to experiment a little to see what mixture suits your taste. Don't wory, it is all good! :):)
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    No, do not put the chips on at the same time as the meat, that will just give you a strong, bitter smoke.
    Put them in the lump before you ever light it and scatter them throughout :)
  • PlatePlucker
    Options
    I would start with just a couple of chuncks soaked in water or apple juice for a half hour before cooking.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
     my 2¢ and a little different approach.

Before I continue member thirdeye's blog has a great page about smoke wood, it is well worth the time to read. Playing with Fire and Smoke The Wood Pile ~ Smoking Woods Don't forget to take a look at his recipe section and other help sections. It's a great place to spend some time and learn from a guy with a lot of experience.

Now for my 2¢

I love cooking with wood chips/chunks. Apple is a great choice as is cherry, grape vine and Jack Daniels #7. I want to find some Tabasco barrel chips and give that a try also.

Fowel will take on smoke quicker than beef or pork. When fruit wood on beef or pork I use twice as much if not more than using on fowel.

Scattering chips in the lump bed is a very acceptable method. However with chips they are small and will burn/smoke up quickly. Also scattering throughout the lump will leave them there for the next cook unless you are good at separating before the next cook.

With chips I like to make several pretty good size pouches out of aluminum foil. 1/2 to 1 full palm full. When sealed I poke some holes in the top of the pouch so the smoke will release. The chips in the pouch never flame up giving the meat that acrid taste.

I use 2 to 5 pouches depending on how much smoke I want. One (or two) pouch part way over the burning lump and another just off to the side of burning lump. I am thinking the smoke will be produced longer with the staged burn.

When you are done with that cook remove the pouches and there are no chips in your lump or you can change to cherry or something else. I do save the pouches if there is unused chips remaining.

You will love the ribs.

ribswet1.jpg

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Curious, why the soak?

GG
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Those are beautiful Kent!
    I'll have to try that pouch method.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • friscotex
    Options
    Great idea on the pouches. I was wondering how I was going to deal with the unburnt wood chips in my next cook. Unfortunately, I've already committed to the 'stir-in' method ... the ribbys are 'on'.

But will definitely remember to try yours next time.

Thanks all !!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

You will find you won't mind the apple in future cooks. It goes well with a lot of foods including fish.

Good cooking looking forward to reading about your results.

GG
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Wood chunks do not absorb water. If you totally submerge wood chunks for 24 hours or more only 3% water will be absorbed. When put on fire it causes steam. Why do you think they make boats out of wood? They don't absorb any water. ;)
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    Your ribs are going to be delicious no matter what you do to the wood.

If you can see your way to buying chunks, and giving your chips away to a friend, you will find that is the way to go. Just stick a chunk in the lump before you light it, and your worries are over.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

ummmm not sure if I buy that... ever see or try to burn any wood that is waterlogged? Now put a finish on the wood and I am all over it.

Nevertheless, PhilsGrill is correct, no need to soak smoking wood. Wet chips/chunks can get moldy, been there done that.

GG