Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deep fryinf in ana egg

IQthere4iam
IQthere4iam Posts: 106
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Trying to get a general consensus. I see in the egghead bible talk about frying in the egg.. I have a cast iron dutch oven that would be perfect for cooking wings. I am wondering what people think of this idea if I were to keep the oil at a safe and manageable level.

And if yes

Would you just use a raised grid, direct with lid open so as not to grease the inside of your egg.

Thanks for advice or opinion

Steve

Comments

• IQthere4iam
    Oops sorry for spelling, trying to go to fast on an ipad.

Reason you voted no?
  • Austex_Egger
    Austex_Egger Posts: 153
    I would vote no as well. Beside the the potential hazard of having a large quantity of oil directly above an open flame, why would you want to deep fry something like wings when the come out awesome cooked on the egg?
  • IQthere4iam
    I love egg wings but I enjoy them fried as well. I love all food equally :)

Guess ill just steer clear
  • BigBadger
    BigBadger Posts: 461
    Far too dangerous for my tastes. Love fried food as well but I'd stick to a conventional method rather than the open flame and oil idea.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    How are you going to control the oil temperature to make sure it's in the "safe and manageable" zone?

We manage temperature in the egg by controlling air in the egg. Are you going to open and close the dome to maintain constant temperatures. Do you really want to close the dome on an kettle full of oil. Do you really want to open a dome on a kettle full of oil. How about a flashback with oil in the egg.

Do you know the difference and more importantly, can you tell the difference between oil's fire, flash and smoke point temperatures. Not all oils have the same fire, flash and smoke points.

If you have to ask how to set up the cook, then this cook is not for you.

I'm not trying to bust your balls here, but I'm sure there are others who have the same thought, deep frying in the egg. Just trying to keep you and others who read this post safe........t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • IQthere4iam
    Tjv, I dont take it as ball busting. Thats why I come here to find out from others before I do something stupid. Very valid points all of them,but the main one in controling the temp of the oil. When I was thinking about it, it never crossed my mind that I would have to adjust/ cotrol temp. Just didnt think it through.

Think ill just buy a standalone fryer.

Again thanks everyone for your input, its why I love this board!

Steve
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    no problem, but funny thing....when I typed and reread my answer, each time I got to busting your balls, my mind read/said it like my brother in law from rhode island says it........guess it sounds better with an east coast twist than a texas twang........LOL.
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    IQthere4iam wrote:
    I love egg wings but I enjoy them fried as well. I love all food equally :)

Guess ill just steer clear

I think that it is a good idea to steer clear. As I see it, there will be no flavor benefit and there is a safety hazard.

If you need a fried wing fix, do it inside or on a side burner.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    ive done it, 600 degrees, open dome, shut bottom vent completely and wait for the flames to disapear. i wouldnt do a big deep fry, a cup or two in a wok max. regulating heat makes flames, dont do it, opening and closing the dome makes flames, dont do it. deep frying on a deck or next to the house, dont do it :laugh: be prepared to walk away, i know someone who did it on a gasser on the deck, lost the skin from elbows down, lost part of the house, handicapped wife inside would have died if there were no neighbors around. you cant regulate the heat real well so stick to quick cooks like these green tomatoes or chicken tenders bite size. people will fry stove top indoors without thinking about it, where do you want a grease fire, in the kitchen, or in a safe location outside ;)

DSC_0777.jpg

DSC_0781.jpg

100_1761.jpg

100_1764.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nuynai
    nuynai Posts: 101
    My vote is no also. At the very least, if you decide to do it, have fire extinguisher handy that'll handle grease fires. If it does go up and you have to use the extinguisher, another concern would be what effect it would do to the taste of future food cooked on the BGE.
  • BobS
    fishlessman,

I do not fry cook many things inside either and when I do I watch it like a hawk, but I really do not think it is reasonable comparison between cooking on a stove top and cooking on an egg -- from a personal safety or a property damage perspective.

A stove top as a whole is relatively cool as compared to the firebox on a grill. I get lots of grease spatters that that never cause a hint of a fire on a stove, but equivalent grease causes a flare up if the top is open on the Egg.

Also, if you look at safety info on home fires from turkey fryers, you will quickly realize that people have pretty questionable ideas about what makes an outdoor location safe.

I am not saying it cannot be done, I just do not think it is on the recommended list.
  • fishlessman
    with the bottom vent completely closed the fire doesnt flair up even with the dome open. you do need to set it up that way and leave it that way a good 10 to 15 minutes before starting and leave the dome open the whole time. still, small quantities of oil to help keep the fire smaller. people doing those turkeys are using gas burners just like i have on my stove top ;)
    fukahwee maine

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    I have 3 woks. One for the large, small & mini BGE. I have fried in all 3 and love it. We do fried fish, chicken, wings & shrimp. At the GA Mtn Fest, Fidel fried funnel cakes and they were a big hit.

I get my BGE up to about 350-400 and then put the wok or CI DO in for about 5 minutes with the oil already in it. I have a long thermometer and once the oil temp gets to 350 I start gently putting the food in the oil I usually shut the bottom vent down half way at that point...obviously be very careful but it can be done...oh we also deep fry breaded mozzarella sticks and Julie did her lobstah WonTons as a deep fry at a party at Rod's house. I vote yes but BE CAREFUL...
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    I don't see any advantage to deep frying anything on an egg. I wouldn't chance it.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    fishless,
    Excellent point. I just wonder how our ancestors survived cooking fried chicken over wood and gas inside the house??? :laugh:

The advantage is not smelling chicken wings for a week in your house after you cook them. :)

I've been busted by the grease police :whistle:
    Fishless and vidalia1 offer great tips.

Make sure you have at least a B(liquids) fire extinguisher. ABC would be ideal for the home. Keep it close.

Caution and common sense are critical, be careful and you can fry in the egg without problems. :)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• fishlessman
    have one hanging in the kitchen and have used it. my oven went up in flames and got to use it. every one that comes over asks why is there a big red fire extingisher hanging on the wall in the kitchen...... um... fires :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• BobS
    There is not doubt that it can be done successfully, but I still do not think that is is advisable as a recommended technique

I put it in the camp of using a cell phone while driving.
  • fishlessman
    i wont drive with a cell phone either ;) there is alot more grease in a drip pan under a few butts than im using and you see people egging low and slows on a wooden deck overnight while sleeping, anything can happen during one of those cooks, fire spikes, you go check on things and open the egg, fire goes whoooofm. seen that on gas grills and gas smokers, can happen on an egg. knowing how i cook, i tell everyone to get that egg off the deck everytime i see it posted :laugh:
    fukahwee maine