Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Back Ribs Suggestion For Tailgate

Options
atlegg22
atlegg22 Posts: 33
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello Everyone,

Looking to contribute to a tailgate this Saturday for the Braves game and I was thinking about smoking some ribs beforehand at the house and bringing them to the game. So my question is, how many ribs would I need for a group of 11-12 people (using a large egg) and could I smoke them to finish, wrap in tin foil and transport to the game w/i a couple hours and still be hot and ready to eat.

Thanks,

Chris

Comments

• golfguy
    golfguy Posts: 105
    Options
    2-3 racks I would say. Better to have too much than not enough. Are you the only one cooking? When you are done just wrap them in foil and put them in a cooler for transport.
  • atlegg22
    Options
    If I can do 2-3 racks at one time on the large then that's what I'll do. Yes, I'm the only one cooking ribs. Others will be responsible for sides.

Any method better then the others for cooking? I've found the more you look on here, the more methods you encounter which can be overwhelming.

Thanks!
  • golfguy
    Options
    This is the method that most people recommended to me. I have had great success with this cook. It's from carwash mike.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/06/baby-back-rib-class.html

Let us know how they turn out!!!
  • atlegg22
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Knowing that I'll be packing them up in foil and transporting, should I skip the last step of saucing or should I perform that step before I wrap them up in foil?
  • golfguy
    Options
    If I read your post correctly, you are actually going to THE game, not someones house? I would say to go through the process and just serve the ribs when you get there. Unless someone there has/will have a portable grill you can borrow and perform the saucing stage there. Maybe bring an extra bottle of sauce to mop on when you get there.

Anyone else have an idea?

Either way, let us know how it goes!
  • Sounds2Good
    Options
    I'm doing three full racks of baby backs on my large BGE right now in a V-rack. It's my first low and slow on the egg, and with the 100 degree temperature outside I've had some trouble keeping my BGE under 250 degrees. It looks like one really has to close the vent door almost all the way on a day like this. BTW I'm approximating Car Wash Mike's recipe. I'm not misting the ribs every hour. Should be ready to sauce them in about 30 minutes.
  • golfguy
    Options
    Post some pics! B)