Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Woo3 Ring?

Options
freedonia
freedonia Posts: 37
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had my eye on buying a Woo3 Ring for my large egg. I'd like to try raising the cooking grid for direct cooks, especially with chicken, and this seems to be right product. What's the overall experience with this?

Also, I already have a plate setter, do I need the ceramic stone that is sold with it for indirect cooks, or will my plate setter work with it? Could the ceramic stone also serve as a pizza stone?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    if you don't have a stone then get the one from the CS. Stones are a very useful item and are not readily available at local stores.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Many will reply recommending the adjustable rig instead, so I thought I would offer a different opinion. I have had the woo3 for about a year and a half and love it. I bought the adjustable rig about 3 months ago, and it is great for big cooks. The woo3 is just simple and does a great job of raising the grid. You can use almost anything for indirect use on the lower ring. I use a pizza stone and then a foiled pizza pan on top of that. I don't believe the platesetter works in there, but I am not sure if I have tried it. I recently bought the woo3 extender, and now I can do two level cooks with ease in there.
  • Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    Options
    what's the web address for the CS?
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com
  • Right on Q
    Right on Q Posts: 42
    Options
    I looked at the Woo3 but decided on the adjustable rig for my large. I have the Flip 3 for my XL. Both are great units. You need to look at the extra for both units and decide what type of cooks you do and decide which will be the best. If you plan on adding a wok the Woo3 is nice because you can use it and not buy the spider. I would consider the Woo3 extention if you do get it that will give you more cook space for large cooks and it works great for apps for large parties. Either way you can not go wrong. As for the pizza stone, I find that if you are cooking pizza you get a better crust by placing a pizza stone with a airspace the stone and the plate setter. The crust will not burn as quickly.

By the way Freedonia..........NY?
  • freedonia
    Options
    I like NY-style crispy crust so there is something to be said for a little burnt crust. :laugh:

Not NY, Marx Bros. :)
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Woo3 is a great product, I use mine all the time, it is the best way to go raised direct.
    It will not work w/ a platesetter, you need the 13" stone for that and the 13" drip pan is a good idea also.
    You can do without these pieces and use the woo for direct only, but you are sacraficing some versatility.
    The stone on top of the platesetter [legs down w/ spacers] is a very good way to do pizza.
    I have woos for both my large and small eggs, I highly reccomend them :):)
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    Options
    Buy the adjustable rig that the Ceramic Grill Store sells. They have a package deal that comes with the adj. rig with necessary accessories to utilize it. The woo3 is nice, but the adj. rig does everything the Woo can and much more. It took me a week of researching to decide between the 2, but it just didn't make any sense to me to buy the Woo when the adj rig does everything and is a lot more versatile.
  • freedonia
    Options
    Ok, I think I'll go with the Woo3 setup with the stone and extender and drip pan. I haven't cooked with a wok on the egg, so I may add that later.

I have a pizza stone but it's cheap and thin and I'm afraid will crack some day, so it's probably good to have a nice thick stone for pizza. Where does one buy these spacers?
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Spacers can be made from balls of Alum foil, large nuts, copper plumbing els [1/2"], or a set of green feet if you have them. The idea is to get a little air space between the platesetter and the stone so the stone dosen't reach nuclear temps.
    BTW, I also have the AR rig from CGS. I started with the woo thinking I would never do large cooks and it is much cheaper than the AR. I find I am doing a lot of ribs as well as other things in quantity, so I got the AR [two of them] with the oval stone and racks. It is a super piece of equipment and very versatile. I am not trying to steer you away from the Woo after just hyping it earlier, but you need to think about what [and how much] you are likely to cook. I would suggest that you give Tom at CGS a call and discuss your needs with him, he is a super guy, an egger, and a member here. He won't try to sell you something you won't use.
    As I said, I have both setups and use them both, you won't go wrong either way. :):)
  • freedonia
    Options
    alright, I'll check out the adjustable rig. The first time I looked at it, it seemed more than I needed, but I think now that I've done a few dozen cooks, I can see the benefit. I will call CGS before I order.

Thanks to everyone for the help.
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options
    As others have said the woo is brilliant. You can't use your platestter with it but if you want to use the platesetter you can just take the woo ring out.
    The adj rig is way more complicated (and flexible I guess).

I love the simplicity of my woo ring (on med admittedly) and find I use it most of the time.

The pizza stone is another issue imo.

If you like gadgets and big cooks get the adj rig, if you like simplicity get the woo - you won't regret it.
    (I'd vote for a spider too at the same time!)