Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stoker?

meat03man
meat03man Posts: 83
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Alright I am about positive I am going to order a stoker some point within the next few weeks. but I have a few questions. First what all would I need I saw the basic hookup kit with the blower but I was wondering if there is any adapter or something needed to hook up it to a Large BGE. Also is the unit water proof? My table is on my front porch and I could plug it in easy and the table would keep it about 80% dry but I don't know what would happen if it got wet. Also I know the new one runs on wifi I was wondering how hard it was to get everything set up to check on my phone/ipad/laptop. I love the idea of the wifi set up especially since my phone is basically a computer. What would you all go with for my set up?

Comments

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Call Kenny (at Rock's Bar-B-que)and he will advise you what you need. Do a search on this form and look at water proofing the unit, plenty of options, we use a ziplock bag.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• tjl5709
    tjl5709 Posts: 76
    You might also want to check out the forum for the weber smokey mountain. There is a section there for temperature controllers. Lots of good direction on hooking the stoker up WIFI. You also can find the link for the stokerlog software which is an excellent interface to the stoker via your PC or notebook. It graphs out your cooks and has alarm and twitter functions. Very, very cool stuff.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I agree with tjl5709.
    Great forum for Stoker information.

http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/9270072103

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Water + electricity = the need to buy new 'stuff'.

None of the units are 'water proof'. The probe plugs on any of the units have no protection. DigiQ/CyberQ are a little more water resistant than Stoker. Zip Lock bags work great as do a bread bag. Some folks modify rubber maid boxes.

As Smitty said call Kenny at Stoker, tell him what you want to do and he will get you on the right road. Personally I purchased 3 extra food probes so I I can monitor multiple meat cooks.

Basically what you need is the controller, blower(s), pit probe and food probe(s).

I haven't seen the new WiFi unit. I suppose you set it up and read the IP setting assigned to the Stoker. Type the IP address into a browser and you are looking at the Stoker. You will need to port forward your router in order to use the WWW, do nothing other than the IP address for your network.

GG
  • meat03man
    meat03man Posts: 83
    Thanks everyone for the info. I really appreciate the help.
  • Harleydog77
    Harleydog77 Posts: 217
    I just bought the new Stoker Wi-Fi. I am supposed to receive it in a week to 10 days. I am excited to try it out. This will be my first temp controller. I got the stoker, the adapter for the LBGE, and 2 food probes. As far as waterproofing I am going to use a ziplock bag for now.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Make sure you use large bags and fold the bad under the unit if there is a chance of water. You will enjoy the Stoker.

• Hi,

I made a case out of a plastic bin I got from Home Depot. Cut a hole in the side and installed a gasketed shower drain and a 90 degree 1.5" PVC joint to run a power cable out of. This protects the Stoker, wireless bridge, and serves as a great place to store my probes and even my Maverick which I use alot too..

Stoker%20enclosure.jpg

For rain proofing the fan, this isn't as easy, though I have never had a problem, I suspect during a huge rainstorm that some probs could happen. I've thought about constructing a cover that attaches to the fan adapter and will work on that when I have some time...

Here is what I do now:

Wet%20Weather%20Setup.jpg