Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thighs and Drumsticks together

Options
ndbass_2001
ndbass_2001 Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey everybody,

Looking for some advice. Plan on doing some thighs and drumsticks tomorrow. Just dusted and rubbed them with some Bone Suckin' Sauce rub and put in the fridge uncovered. Plan on doing them indirect on a 2" raised grid at about 350-400 with a little bit of cherry smoke.

I pulled the skin back to season and then replaced on both parts and then scored the skin on the thighs. Any advice on how to make sure the skin gets crisp? Plan to cook the thighs to 185-195 internal temp. Should I put the drums and thighs on at the same time or start the thighs 10-15 before the drumsticks?

Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated!

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    If you want crisp skin, up your dome temp to 425*. I agree with the indirect approach, and don't forget a drip pan with an air gap between the platesetter and drip pan. They will turn out awesome! I agree with the 15 minutes thighs on first approach as well.

You will likely get some replies to cook them direct. I do NOT like direct, because there is too much fat dripped onto the coals, which produces nasty fatty smoke IMO. Try it one way one time, and another the next. You'll find the method that you prefer. For me, indirect, 425*. Best to you!
  • TheHandleGuy
    Options
    425 seems a little high to me but there are many ways to achieve the happy end. I would say 375 or so works for me. Just get close to these temps and you will be very happy. :)

Large BGE, Santa Maria Pit, Hasty-Bake Gourmet, MAK One Star Pellet Pooper,  26" Weber, 22" Weber Performer.  Most have custom handles made by me.

http://www.amlwoodart.com

"Just living from one cook to the next"

• LFGEnergy
    LFGEnergy Posts: 618
    Options
    Nasty Fatty Smoke!?!?!?!?!?! I stand over my egg and let that beautiful chicken fat smoke soak into my cloths and hair!!!!! Smells up house for days, and wife makes me change in garage before coming into house :laugh: :sick: :ermm: !!!!

Seriously, am going to try the hotter indirect method next time...have been cooking soley direct at 400 creeping down to 350 as I finish....but not many complaints!