Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick probe reading higher than Egg thermometer

Options
grok
grok Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK what is up with this..

for hours, the dome temp would show around 240-250, and the maverick grill probe would show 20 less than that, which is seemingly what is expected based on what I have read around the net.

But after 3-4 hours, the differential started to decrease. I figured maybe it was due to the meat being hotter (currently plateau'd at 156F). After about 6 hours though, now the grill probe is showing higher than the Egg's dome thermometer! Say the dome was at 230, the probe would read 246! I thought that maybe the reason was due to conducted heat through the grill probe's clip, since it's clipped to the grill, but as a test I found a funky piece of lump that had a good spot to clip the probe onto and still be stable, but that didn't make a difference.

Have you guys seen this before?

Comments

• grok
    Options
    just another observation -- when I said that the probe was at 246 while dome at 230 -- well now the dome is at 232 and the probe is at 237. so maybe it really is hotter right there by the meat? I shoudl add that there is very little airflow at this point, I have the draft door just about closed, and the daisy wheel is just barely open (main hinge is closed)
  • grok
    Options
    Well, maybe the conductive heat from the grill does indeed have something to do with it.. After 30 minutes of using the probe/clip on a piece of lump that I set on the grill, with probe mounted horizontally about 3 inches high, now the probe is reading just about the same as the dome. And about 15 mintutes ago, finally moved from 156-158! :) I think I'm going to crank up the temp to 240 or so to speed things up a bit.
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    Interesting. I just got my first Maverick grill probe recently and have only used it once. Therefore, I can't help but am interested in your results and comments of others.

Freddie
    League City,TX