Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

lump

golffer
golffer Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone used Royal Oak "Steak House" 100% Natural Wood Lump Charcoal? Whole Foods has it here in Chas. for $5.79 / 10 lb bag.

Comments

• Mudflap
    Mudflap Posts: 69
    A lot of people seem to like it and it rates pretty well. I personally tried two bags and found more rocks than I think should have been acceptable. Also, it was the first time for me that the charcoal had popped and cracked while cooking. I had to go back to Cowboy which has virtually no big pieces but has never had the cracking and popping and definitely not nearly as much garbage in it.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Sounds like a deal to me! Here's my review: Royal Oak Steakhouse Lump Charcoal Review
    The Naked Whiz
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Sounds like a good deal to me. I have not seen 10 lb bags....only 8.8 lb bags in this neck of the woods. And, they go for almost $6 a bag. I have used it almost exclusively once I finished up the the bag of BGE lump that came with my grill. Thinking about giving the ole Cowboy lump a shot.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I've been using it exclusively for a couple years now - good stuff! If you have a Menards store in your area they carry it, but also have an annual sale (at least for the last 3 years running) in February for some reason. They sell it then for $3.79 for the handy 8.8# bags. I scored 26 bags in Feb.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Bulldog Mom
    Bulldog Mom Posts: 242
    I recently purchased 15 bags from Menards and I have no complaints, It lights well and burns well. As on now that is all I can find and will continue to us it.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    not being sure where Lewis Center, OH is but you might want to try the GFS locator to see if any are close by. They sell 20# of their private label which is made for them by Royal Oak. $12.99 in these parts!
    http://www.gfs.com/en/store-locator.page?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    I use Wicked Good Weekend Warrior and it sparks and pops all the time.

I used RO for a while. The cowboy I get around here is junk. Lots of rocks and building scraps.