Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Austin, TX and Brisket

TheLazyC
TheLazyC Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am headed out to Austin, Texas tomorrow on my first trip to Texas to attend a user conference.

I will have a few evenings free and need to find some Texas stuff to do.

Also, want to eat some Texas brisket, where should I head to?

Comments

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    If you like a little brew with your que Uncle Billys is the place to go http://www.unclebillysaustin.com/

Take a drive to the Salt Lick http://www.saltlickbbq.com/locations_driftwood.html

And there is always Rudy's http://www.rudys.com/

It is very hot here. No coat needed! :laugh:
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    I used to go TDY to Austin a lot in the late '80's, I miss that place! (don't even know if the Lockheed-Martin plant is there any more...)
    At that time, any sub-par BBQ place wasn't around for very long. Look for run-down shacks where you can see light thru their siding, and follow your nose (and watch the parking lots).
    The Pecan Festival comes in the summer, although I believe its in August, check the local calendar; that's the most fun I've ever had outdoors and the only time I may have been arrested twice in the same weekend (I can neither confirm nor deny...)
    Damn I wish I was joining you!

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• TheLazyC
    TheLazyC Posts: 97
    Rudy's keeps coming up in just about every conversation. I guess I have to go there.

I will take my jacket out of the stack! Hope they dont loose my bag anyway.
  • hedclown
    hedclown Posts: 10
    You need to rent a car and go to lockhart. Krutz market, smitty's, and black's are probably in the top five of bbq, and they are located within 1/2 mile of each other. You will not be disappointed.
  • asianflava
    asianflava Posts: 313
    Lockhart may be tough but it's worth it. They tend to run out of brisket so you have to get there early. Then again, there are 3 different places to try: Smitty's Black's, and Kreuz.

Slat Lick (in Driftwood) is BYOB, so you can bring a cooler of your preferred beverage.

Rudy's is OK, but it's kinda peppery. My wife didn't like it. There are a couple places downtown, but I hated going downtown.
  • Wish I was joining you. Sounds like a task that needs to be done. Have fun!

Large BGE, Santa Maria Pit, Hasty-Bake Gourmet, MAK One Star Pellet Pooper,  26" Weber, 22" Weber Performer.  Most have custom handles made by me.

http://www.amlwoodart.com

"Just living from one cook to the next"

• apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Iron Works BBQ is downtown. When I think convention that is what I think. But, if it were me....make the drive out to The Salt Lick. Nice peach based BBQ sauce and a new wine tasting room.

I work downtown and am 5 blocks from Stubbs BBQ, but I would pass it up.
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    hedclown wrote:
    You need to rent a car and go to lockhart. Krutz market, smitty's, and black's are probably in the top five of bbq, and they are located within 1/2 mile of each other. You will not be disappointed.

DITTO!!

If you MUST stay in Austin I would confirm Ironworks as pretty solid....LOTS of people are raving about Franklin BBQ....I went once and it was okay, but maybe had an off day as it was early in their new building experience.

Regardless, have fun in Austin and spend lots of $$$! ;)
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I hear great things about Franklin's, but hear you also have to go early as they sell out before 1, maybe 12.

I'd skip Salt Lick. Used to be really good, seems like quality is going downhill.

If you can swing it, I'd head out to Lockhart. We try and stop there everytime we go down to the ranch or Corpus. We stopped at Kreuz Monday for the first time (its usually closed when we drive through, either too late at night or Sunday) and it was really good. Nice, moist brisket and I thought their jalepeno cheddar sausage was right on the mark. But you can't go wrong with either of the big 3 there.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    I live right down the road from The Salt Lick. They have good brisket (and if you ask, burnt ends!!), sausage and turkey. The ribs taste good, but they don't take the membrane off the back, so a little hard to eat. It's a great place with a unique atmosphere.

Lambert's (downtown) gets rave reviews as a "gourmet bbq" place. It's pretty pricey.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Austin Egger
    Austin Egger Posts: 256
    Rudy's has the best brisket (in town) that I have had. Make sure you get the extra moist. I've been meaning to try Franklins downtown, but haven't made it there yet. Franklins has been the most talked about recently and does not sound like it will disappoint.
  • 43moon
    43moon Posts: 15
    Salt Lick is good for a fun setting closer to downtown Austin, but Lockhart is the place to go for quality BBQ.
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    EggObsessed wrote:

Lambert's (downtown) gets rave reviews as a "gourmet bbq" place. It's pretty pricey.

Lambert's is AWESOME, maybe my favorite place in town....but it's NOT barbecue. There are a couple items that a cue (brisket, ribs, pulled pork) but they are not traditional by any stretch.

However; the Broiled Oysters, Hanger Steak and Mac and Cheese is my Last Supper of choice!! And they sell Live Oak (local) beer on tap....and it's summer, and their Hefeweizen has won TONS of awards. It's better than any one I had in Germany.
  • Clavin
    Clavin Posts: 91
    I went to Ironworks for lunch one day.

Very crowded. Got the brisket. It was forgettable.
  • grok
    grok Posts: 32
    There is no reason not to go to lockhart. You don't really have to worry about running out between the three places. I've been to Kreutz past 5pm and didn't have any trouble. I love their sausage.

second choice is a little farther, in New Braunfels -- Cooper's. They also have a place northwest of austin. Really good flavor, although for some reason they leave like half an inch of fat on their briskets, even when serving you! kind makes me mad, I'm not paying for fat. Anyway, they have a really tasty, thin sauce that they dip everything in before giving it to you (and you can get more). beans are free here, and I think they do them well, not overseasoned like Many places. Or I should say, not unnecessarily seasoned like others.

Rudy's is not bad. They are very consistent, it's a well-managed company. I go there most often because they are close, although now that I have an egg, I'll probably mostly just go for the turkey (really good!) and the beans. Sausage isn't that great in my opinion; has a tough skin, reminds me of the big brand store-bought junk. They use oak. They have three brisket choices -- extralean (stay away!!), extra moist (I think it's the point?), and cutter's choice. I always opt for the cutter's choice. Or a mix between moist and cutter's.. Just get a sample of all three, and whichever one you choice, make sure you get your meat from that same brisket. It's easy to sample a brisket, but then by the time they tell the cutter, he's already divied up for the other customers (they server 4-6 people at once)! defeats the purpose of the sampling.. They have good sides, but they have a considerable amount of transfat in the creamed corn (.55g per serving! more than .5, so they can't say zero according to the FDA's rules.. ). Not really an issue unless you are concerned about your cholesterol.
  • I'm a big Salt Lick fan and I LOVE Rudy's sauce...if only they would merge...

If you go out to Salt Lick just know it's BYOB. But the atmosphere is great. As long as you stay away from pok-e-joes and bill miller you can't really go wrong in this town...if you can't make it to Mecca (maps call it Lockhart) head out to Taylor and hit up Louie Mueller BBQ. They got some real good grub.

And heck, have an awesome time!
  • glc203
    glc203 Posts: 45
    Ruby's (not Rudy's) on 29th and Guadaloupe, best combo of flat/point plate. Also, I consider Iron Works a solid, reliable option. But always ask for a mix of flat and point.