Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New BGE, screen and door very hard to slide

Options
Sounds2Good
Sounds2Good Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My new large BGE has arrived but I'm finding the vent sliding screen and "door" very difficult to move. It appears that both can be slid too far open and then the screen prevents the solid door from sliding closed. Even when not opened too far both the screen and door are very difficult to move. We hit them with some WD-40 but should we be concerned this is not a good solution for something that will be near burning coals?

Any suggestions for making the screen and vent door slide more easily?

Wil they loosen over time?

Thanks.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I doubt it will get smother over time. On my large, medium and small the door/screen if tight and often seem to move at the same time. For me it usually takes 2 hands, one to hold the screen and the other to move the door.

The mini door/screen are way loose and often just fall out, I'd rather it be tighter than looser.

There could be a couple of reasons.
    . crimps on the sliders too tight (not common)
    . bow in the door and screen has too much or too little of a curve
    . difference in the bow of the scree or door

If you start bending things you can make things worse.

GG
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    I added the screen after 8 years, and the vent channels were too tight for the two thicknesses. So I used a large slot screwdriver to very, very, very gently pry the channel wall outward, top and bottom.

I takes constant monitoring to make sure you're not pulling too hard, and it took several sessions and many hours to get it just right. But I finally reached the perfect point.

It will not loosen on its own.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Austex_Egger
    Austex_Egger Posts: 153
    Options
    I have the same problem with mine. With mine I think the curvature of the doors is off a bit. Have not tried to fix it yet, but have been thinking about it. On mine, with the screen door closed, the outer door get stuck on the edge of the screen door. Also looks like I have a slight irregular bend on the bottom of the outer door. I'd have to take the egg out of the nest to attempt a fix. Not motivated enough to do that yet.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I have a friend that just bought a lge a few days ago. He told me yesterdy about having the same problem. His dealer was supposed to come today to fix it. I have not seen his egg, so I can't comment on what is wrong. Hearing this from other new eggers it sounds like this must be a new issue with the vent doors, maybe a new vendor or in-house problem, who knows. I will post my friends results when available :unsure:
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    John:

I had the same situation, couldn't remove the vent assembly without taking the Egg out of the nest, because the screws were behind the nest leg.

The method I used above worked very well. If the outer wall of the channel got TOO far forward, a very gentle tap of the hammer with the slot or a chisel behind it for strength fixed it.
    Judy in San Diego
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Options
    Mine was a bit stiff at first but is manageable now. My Large Egg is 7 months old and has gotten it's fair share of use. I would avoid attempting to modify the channels until it's been used for a few months. Doing so could result in leakage at the door/vent and channels. Since that whole assembly is the primary means of temp control on the Egg, I would be patient with it and avoid modifying it. Just my opinion.
  • I have the same problem with my new egg. My friend said to try a high temp silicone spray from the big box hardware store. I haven't done it yet but plan to. It should work much better and be much safer that WD 40

Chad
    2 Large Eggs and no chickens. How's that work? :)
  • Rafter R
    Rafter R Posts: 120
    Options
    Mine gets tight now and then. usually I just take them out and clean out the dust or ash that has collected in the "tracks". Then it works fine. In west Texas, dust gets in there all the time so I clean it regularly. Q-Tips work great.
  • Sounds2Good
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions about the tight screen and door. I think I'll try some high-temperature silocon lubricant and get used to the tightness. As Grandpa Grub suggests, tinkering with things might make them worse. I asked my dealer about this though and he said he would call BGE about this. We'll see.
  • firepit
    firepit Posts: 2
    Options
    HI, I am a new egger and I found the door hard to move as well. The store said that it would work loose over time but after 3 weeks of intense egging it is a little looser. they suggested I loosen the screws but that did not help. I clean the tracks of ash and dust often and this seems to help a bit.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I occasionally use a cheapo hair dryer to blow air into the egg through the bottom vent to speed up the temperature. Lately I have noticed that my vent door/screen work more smoothly after I have done this.
    Duuuuh! What I am doing is cleaning dust and ash out of the door/screen track!
    What's better than unintentional maintenance?

:laugh: :laugh:
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Sounds2Good
    Options
    I bought some graphite spray from my local Home Depot and squirted a little in the tracks for the door and screen. They slide a little easier now. It's too bad the otherwise excellent BGE has this little problem.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    John, when a little air is needed this or something like works great. Works for vent or top of lump kick-start.

Also, if using MAPP/Propane and it seems like the torch is going out using the oxygen available is getting used up due to the lump trying to start and the torch burning. The soft breeze increased the effectiveness of the torch by several times.

fan.jpg

I cook at high altitude 5,000' if the light takes too long I use a combination of a tunnel and the personal blower.

I use a vent tube or vent tube + fan, the foil is not needed.

venttube.jpg

GG
  • jaydub58
    Options
    GG, thanks for the heads-up. I'm at 450' above sea level (Willamette Valley) so that's not an issue.
    I just once in a while want to jazz up the temp time. Your set-up looks cool, something I should give a try.
    Thanks again

:cheer:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

A long time ago I had an egg that was a real bear to light and get up to temperature, I think it just hated me. Those and a couple of other mods took care of the problem though.

I love that part of Oregon, what a place to live. Heck, I love the Northwest.

GG
  • jaydub58
    Options
    I gotta admit I've never seen Utah, but I would like to see some of your national parks someday.
    That said, I was born in Portland, OR, raised in Bend, and have been in Eugene in the Valley for 44 years. I just can't fathom living anywhere else than Oregon. It is an unbeatable (in my opinion) combination of the Pacific Coast, beautiful farm land, two ranges of mountains, and some great high desert country. If you get this way again, GG, let me know, and I'll give you a tour!

;)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

At one time in history I was managing computer stores in Utah and Oregon. Each week I spent 3 days on Portland and 2 days here, the next week I switched the schedule. Got a lot of air miles during that time.

I really enjoyed all the bridges and being somewhat close tot he Willamette River. I was right downtown Portland, the hotel was just across the street from the store.

There are a lot of national parks within somewhat close proximity to us.

GG