Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bye table

greendean
greendean Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am planning on building a table for my bge. I am thinking of using composite lumber for the ttop. Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    2 possible issues-

You will occasionally set hot or warm items down on the table. Composite would be likely to melt. If you have some tiles or a cutting board you should be fine. I would also be concerned about how close the hole is to the edge of the egg. While the outside doesn't get too hot, it can be over 100.

I have found that my composite decking seems to absorb oily and greasy substances and stain. I would be worry about setting a greasy utensil down and staining the top.

I used normal wood decking planks with stain and poly on my table.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    welcome aboard, man - I'm not being disrespectful, but there is one heck of a lot of shared knowledge about table construction over here on this other BGE forum section that you might want to check out. OK, buddy?
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=112&func=showcat&catid=13
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    No big deal asking here. We get alot more OT questions about cleaning stains and stuff on this side of the forum.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    The outside of the egg can get really hot. My first table I didn't leave enough space between the egg and the hole in the table and the table caught fire and that was pressure treated wood. Not sure I would try composite wood.
  • RRP
    :laugh: sorry I p*ssed you off, big boy. :laugh:

BTW I also sent you an email explaining some things, if you care to read it.
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    I am in the lumber business and my suggestion is a definite no. The first time you put something hot down it will be ruined. The clearance of the hole is also an issue. Just my 2 cents.
  • asianflava
    asianflava Posts: 313
    FSM-Meatball wrote:
    I have found that my composite decking seems to absorb oily and greasy substances and stain. I would be worry about setting a greasy utensil down and staining the top.

+1 This house had it installed when we bought it. I pulled a drip pan out of the egg one time and spilled some juice/grease. I tried pressure washing the stain out but no luck.

I have a gap between the egg and table, but it still got slightly scorched when I did a high temp burn. Dunno what would happen if it was composite.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Wow, I've been hanging out on this forum for over a year and I didn't even know there was an "Egg Table forum". :ohmy:
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• WeberWho
    Didn't pi*s me off but what makes you have to tell someone to use the table forum when you don't use the OT forum?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • RRP
    It was a HELPFUL suggestion - not a criticism - I hope he took it that way whether you did or not.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    The table forum has alot of great pics of what other folks have done. It's a great place to start for him.

Personally I would never use trex or what have you for my egg table. I'd rather have it tiled. Mine is only wood right now, but I do have tile sitting around to use for a table. May just want to start from scratch.

Good luck.
  • WeberWho
    I could care less about you posting about a OT stain on your shirt. Had to poke fun of comment you made about him using the main board. Just kind of funny I thought. Not trying to make it a issue. Just relax and grab a beer.

Minnesota
  • ric3677
    ric3677 Posts: 278
    Just food for thought. I went to a Granite fabricator and picked out a small leftover from a kitchen job and had him cut it and make the hole. Laid in on some 2x4's for support. Easy to clean and looks nice too.

Rick in MT
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    How much did he charge you for the piece of granite? I need a small piece to replace a coffee table top and a retailer wanted way too much to cut and shape a piece. I'm talking about maybe 24" by 48"

Thanks!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Composite is a very poor choice for any type of furniture, don't use it B)B)