Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon Burgers

FSM-Meatball
FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know I'm not the first one to do this, but it was tasty.

When preparing your burgers, chop up a couple of pieces of bacon and mix it in with the hamburger meat. I used 3 pieces of bacon to about a pound of hamburger. I removed most of the fat from the bacon and used just the meat.

The bacon flavor was through the whole burger instead of just a couple of pieces on top. Drop some cheese on top if you like it and its a simple bacon cheeseburger.

Comments

• CrazyHarry
    CrazyHarry Posts: 112
    Did you cook the bacon first? I thought about putting bacon in with my hamburger this morning, while walking to work, but I like my burgers with a little pink and I was worried that the bacon wouldn't get cooked enough.
  • FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    Nope, put it in raw. I chopped it up fine and mixed it in. I'm still alive so it must be fine.
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    Getting ready to do some burgers tonight. I am going to try that. Thanks
  • Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    I do something similar ... only different ;)

When I want bacon burgers, I will add about a teaspoon of frozen & grated bacon fat to each patty. As the fat warms inside the burger while cooking, it'll lubricate the burger from the inside and a infuse bacon flavor everywhere :D soooo good.
  • Longrifle
    Longrifle Posts: 130
    CrazyHarry wrote:
    Did you cook the bacon first? I thought about putting bacon in with my hamburger this morning, while walking to work, but I like my burgers with a little pink and I was worried that the bacon wouldn't get cooked enough.

I have been doing this for years and have no issues I enjoy my burgers pink in the inside and I am still kicking. :silly: No worries.
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    Tried your recipe tonight it was a great success. Thanks I was already planning on burgers but the bacon was a good extra. Thanks.
  • That sounds awesome. Will HAVE to do that soon. Great call!
  • Squirtle
    Squirtle Posts: 15
    Dizzy Pig Cowlick Burgers
    Last time I cooked burgers on the egg for about 12 people, I ground up a pound and half of bacon. Mixed it and some Dizzy Pig steak rub (Cowlick, my favorite) in with the beef.
    When I flipped them over on the grill, I added a hunk of butter on top of each burger. When the butter had melted, I tossed on the cheddar cheese slices and closed the lid til the cheese melted. Serve on grilled Kiaser buns
    Squirtle