Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Chicken Soup

smbishop
smbishop Posts: 3,053
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I found a deal on bone in chicken breasts. Sliced off the breasts and simmered the bones. Some of it, the finicky dog will have mixed in with his food. The breasts were ground and I made ground chicken meat balls. I call them ACTs Atomic Chicken Turds.

The broth and chicken pieces turned into soup, my first time. We had two days of sunshine and it is back to rain and cool weather..

014-30.jpg
Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    OOOOHHHHWEEEE! I cannot wait til the end of October when it will FINALLY get cool enough here to even THINK about soup.Chicken soup is a Fave! ;)
  • Turk
    Turk Posts: 114
    How about the reciepe
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Sweatin', eatin' sliced tomatos, but damn that chicken soup looks good right now! B)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• smbishop
    I didn't follow a recipe.

I put the left over bones in a pot full of water and simmered until the meat started to fall off. Took the bones out and pulled the meat. Left the stock in the fridge overnight, then scooped out the fat. Added carrots, onions, celery, parsley, pulled meat, and 2 cups of rice. Brought to a boil, and added one cube of chicken broth. Simmered for two hours, and it was good! :laugh:
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • smbishop
    Thanks Botch! We will be lucky if we end up with any tomatos this year...they are the size of marbles right now...
  • smbishop
    Thanks Hoss! Can't wait to try some pulled chicken soon...
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    That's an impressive pot of soup - especially for first time. It looks delicious! :)
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Scott:

That looks DELICIOUS!

Those of us on the West Coast are so lucky right now weather-wise, when we can even bear looking at simmering water.

I haven't made that soup in years, but I remember using a piece of celery root in it, not something you find in the market easily. It gave it the old-timey flavor that took me back to my Grandma's homemade chicken soup, and she was from Central Europe. She even made her own noodles, stretching the dough out on the kitchen table, rolling it up, and slicing it into noodles.

Maybe they have celery root in the fall. If you ever see it, try it! You could probably freeze it till you need it.
    Judy in San Diego
  • smbishop
    I'll try and find some celery root! And next time make some noodles home made noodles! Of course I will have to grow my my own carrots, celery, slaughter the chicen, etc. I guess scratch is relative! :laugh:
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    You are too funny! Celery root looks like turnip, kind of. I have no idea if it's from celery or not.
    Judy in San Diego
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Nothing better. Thats some nutritious healing food. :P
  • smbishop
    Thank you Elizabeth!
  • smbishop
    One daughter loved it, the other chose canned soup...ugh! :angry:
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    That sounds and looks great Scott
    Even with this heat, I need some now :laugh:

Shane
  • Scott, try that next time with chicken bones that have been egged, as in spatcocked. You won't believe how a little bit of smokiness comes through in that broth.

Here in FL, soup is strictly a January thru March kinda thing, the rest of the year it's just too hot out!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    We just made a batch of vichyssoise and also like gazpacho in the summer.
  • smbishop
    Thanks Shane, leftovers were fantastic...
  • smbishop
    Faith, thanks for the suggestion, will do for sure! Summer just hasn't settled in here, so soup is still on the menu. :laugh:
  • smbishop
    Chicken soup was easy, those two sound a bit more involved! :)