Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Daisy Wheel Rust?

EddieK76
EddieK76 Posts: 416
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Question. Had my BGE for a few weeks and my daisy wheel looks like it's rusty. It rained last night but didn't think it would rust. Is this normal?
Large BGE

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    mine is two years old and has zero rust. 'course, once I figured out I don't need it for most cooks, I use it only for lo n slow cooks anyway. even when I DO use it, as often as not, I forget to store it in the egg after a cook. been rained on MANY times!! still no rust.

maybe you could oil it and put it inside the still hot egg for a couple of cooks.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jostheim
    jostheim Posts: 53
    Easy fix. Fire up the egg and put the daisy wheel in the egg. Get it good and hot, then pull the daisy wheel out.

Once it has cooled some, take a paper towel saturated with vegetable oil and rub down the wheel. You just reseasoned the cast iron and the rust should disappear. You may want to season it (do this process) every once and a while.

Alternatively throw the daisy wheel in the oven on the clean cycle. This technique works for any cast iron (at least everything I've tried).