Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New member, new BGE arrives today

Options
Sounds2Good
Sounds2Good Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Greetings:

I am a newly registered member to this forum but I've been hanging around trying to learn some things before the arrival of my large BGE today. My first cook will be a skirt steak using the Cinco de Mayo Fajita recipe my wife found here.

My posts probably won't include all the nice photos many upload because I'm a legally blind cook. So, some of my questions might seem a bit odd, but I'm obviously going to work out some different techniques for getting the best from my BGE.

I currently have a Weber Genesis gas grill that I intend to continue using, but i expect to use the BGE more as I become proficient with it. I already have a "talking thermometer" and several years of grilling experience, including with a conventional charcoal grill my wife and I used in the 1980's. Obviously the BGE is used differently from that grill, but some things remain constant for good results: using no charcoal lighter and being patient with the cooking of large cuts of meat.

I love to cook, indoors and out; and of course I love to eat well-prepared food!

I'm happy this forum exists so that i may learn how to get the best from my BGE.

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Welcome!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • RaleighGuy
    RaleighGuy Posts: 207
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. You will be amazed how good food tastes when it is cooked on the egg.

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Welcome to the forum. Cooking on the egg isn't all that much different.

GG
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Welcome Aboard! Don't be shy about your questions, Will Rogers once said "All of us are ignorant, it's just on different subjects!" :) :laugh: :P :laugh:
  • fasteddiem
    fasteddiem Posts: 212
    Options
    Welcome! There are amazing people here that are always willing to lend an opinion and steer you in the correct direction! Cheers!

Eddie
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    You type really well for being blind. Good for you man. I assume you have a program to be able to read these too. You will likely need a thermometer for your dome that can talk too. That would be handy. A pit minder like a BBQ guru would also be a great asset for your slow cooks given your circumstances. Enjoy the egg. Glad to have you hear. Enjoy the Eggsperiences.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,303
    Options
    Welcome! You allready have experience and know to use a thermometer so the Egg should be easy to learn.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,303
    Options
    Welcome! You allready have experience and know to use a thermometer so the Egg should be easy to learn.
  • IQ2
    IQ2 Posts: 37
    Options
    Welcome! I too am a new egger, but have been grilling for many years. I love my new egg, and am delighted to have such a wonderful forum to lean on as I become educated in cooking on the BGE. There are so many great cooks here, and all seem ready to lend a suggestion or pat on the back. We all have a passion for grilling, so no matter how we walk through life, we all have something in common. It's great to share your eggspericences here.......keep us posted!
    Paula West Texas
  • Sounds2Good
    Options
    Thanks to all for the warm welcome.

I thought I'd share a little about how I use computers and cook. I use screen reading software developed for the blind which "intelligently" allows me to determine what is on my computer screen, in documents and of course, to type in them. When I cook I use a talking pen thermometer, but I rely on smell as much as anything to guide me. No, I don't have the nose of a beagle but smell and taste should always be a guide when cooking.

I am intrigued by the Guru, but I don't know of any talking thermometers that are for external use, that is, like the one on the egg or the external one in the Guru. I'm looking for one though!

Anyway, thanks again for the encouragement.