Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

26.4lbs of lump for $9.98

Options
BBQMaven
BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Walking through Kroger and saw this lump - Best of the West, with buy one get one free coupons. This is one of those deals you can't pass up.

IMAG0127.jpg

I've used their mesquite lump and like it... we'll give this a test run on some Flat Iron Steaks after church tomorrow...
Kent Madison MS

Comments

• Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    I hope you have better luck with it than I did. I used it on a tri tip, as oak is traditional for Santa Maria tri tip, but even after an hour, the smoke was very acrid. It did lighten up a bit on the same charcoal re-lit the next night. You might plan on lighting it extra early, just in case! Good luck.
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    I hope you have better luck with it than I did. I used it on a tri tip, as oak is traditional for Santa Maria tri tip, but even after an hour, the smoke was very acrid. It did lighten up a bit on the same charcoal re-lit the next night. You might plan on lighting it extra early, just in case! Good luck.
  • 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    Options
    Thats a good price...best I've found is $0.54 p/lb for Royal at Rest. Depot
  • BBQMaven
    Options
    Fluffyb
    Lit it with 91% alcohol, closed lid after 3 mins, bottom and top vents open, and was at 500 dome without smoke in 15 mins... couple of hickory chunks added, grid on to heat up, then put the two flat iron steaks on for 3 mins a side... BAM!
    This lump will work and it is priced right!
    Kent Madison MS
  • atlpats
    atlpats Posts: 102
    Options
    Was it a coupon or mail in rebate? I saw them at the kroger by my house and it had expired in Sept 2010 or 2009.
  • BBQMaven
    Options
    It was a coupon on the bottom of the bag (see pic)... they took it at the register immediately.
    Kent Madison MS
  • atlpats
    atlpats Posts: 102
    Options
    Cool!! I'll give it a try even though the ones here are expired.