Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small Underbite

Egglectic
Egglectic Posts: 95
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

I had the same problem with one of my eggs and it was replaced under warranty. First the dome then the base.

The small has a thinner wall and a 1/2" as opposed to 3/4" on a large. Due to the offset I would make sure it is taken care of, replaced. I wonder if/when you get to a higher heat cook the mis-match might put the gaskets in more jeopardy. You don't want to end up fighting gasket problems due to a mis-match.

You might want to check with the dealer and see if any of the first parts might match up to the second dome and or base.

GG
  • Egglectic
    edited August 2011
  • srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    I also had a bit of an under-bite on my small. After a litte investigation, I determined that it was caused by the top being a bit out of round. The offset wasn't enough for me to really worry about getting the dealer involved, I just figured out how to get it to work. Here are a couple of photos showing what I started with and the finished product:

The under-bit, looking down between the handle and the ceramic:
    1238062812_YzoTP-M.jpg

Look at the same are, from the side
    1238065690_GEsXN-M.jpg

I made a shim from HDAF and slid it into place between the top and the rim on the hinge side. 1238290941_47e5H-M.jpg

The result is the top is just a little smaller then the base and is centered over the base. Yes, I'll have to keep an eye on it as it will compress over time, especially as things get warm, but it's been working for a couple or three months now with no sign of issues. Then again, with the Rutland gasket, I don't expect to have much in the way of "burning gasket" issues. :)
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    You paid a lot of money for that egg. It should be perfect. Get the entire egg replaced.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

I wouldn't put up with that. For as much money that is spent that big of a mis-match and having to use a 'patch' is asinine.

• Egglectic
    edited August 2011
  • srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    I paid a lot of money for a machine, knowing that no machine is perfect. That patch turned it into a machine I know and one that performs. Done.

I also bought a plate setter .... that doesn't work for beans (or anything else for that matter). It's a design issue - too much diameter to allow sufficient air to flow around it, resulting in an inability to get it much above 300F. Replaced it with a better device from Ceramic Grill Store. Done.

Bottom line - it's just no worth the time or effort to get it replaced by the dealer and then take the time to relearn the egg. I'm good with it.
  • Longrifle
    Longrifle Posts: 130
    Grandpas Grub wrote:

I wouldn't put up with that. For as much money that is spent that big of a mis-match and having to use a 'patch' is asinine.

Agree with ya GG