Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shut down/cool down techniques?

Options
Dan in StL
Dan in StL Posts: 254
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm interested to hear from other Eggers any effective and safe techniques to get the Egg cool enough to be able to put the grill cover on.

My Egg sits in a table I built and I like to cover it up when I'm done. But since the Egg is so good at retaining heat that can take a long time. I've tried some interesting (possibly crazy) thing. For example putting 3 or 4 bricks in the freezer and then putting them in the Egg as a "heat sink." That seems to do a good job of dropping the internal temp, but the surface of the Egg is still hot - possibly hot enough to melt or damage the cover. I also use a dish cloth the wipe the surface of the Egg down with cool water. Although I'm worried that too much cool water on a hot Egg could result in cracking.

So, any ideas? Or does anybody know how heat resistant the BGE covers are?

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

If you are going to use a cover, try using a 99¢ solar survival blanket.

GG
  • Brokersmoker
    Brokersmoker Posts: 646
    Options
    Mine is in the nest, but I usually cover when dome temp shows 200* or below
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Grand Oeuf Vert Posts: 1,631
    Options
    If you have a BGE cover, you can toss that on when your BGE is at 275 or lower.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Having cooked many times with the Egg in both thunderstorms and freezing rain, I doubt wiping the surface with a wet cloth will cause a problem. One of my Eggs has a small amount of surface crazing, the other almost none. Both get the same treatment.

I can see covering a table, but the only necessary reason I've ever found for covering my Eggs has been to keep freezing rain off, which seals them shut. Maybe just get a table cloth with an Egg-sized cut out.
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Options
    My Egg sits on a covered patio and I let the Egg cool overnight before placing the cover on it. I'm not certain the Egg cover is really necessary......but I live in a sultry climate on the south shore of Lake Pontchartrain........things left outdoors around here have a way of rusting, fading and generally deteriorating. The cover makes me sleep a little better even if it's not totally effective in protecting my Egg. I am a freak about protecting my Egg. Then again, some just say I'm a freak. :laugh:
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I have the expensive BGE covers for both my large eggs. Never use them, they seem to promote mold inside the eggs.
    Just my .02ct :)
  • Dan in StL
    Dan in StL Posts: 254
    Options
    Thanks folks. The reason for covering is to keep rain and moisture off the table. I'm pretty sure the Egg can handle can handle it.
  • Smokinb
    Smokinb Posts: 103
    Options
    I just use an umbrella, attached to my table. Works well for cooking in rain and keeping thing covered.
  • Smokinb
    Smokinb Posts: 103
    Options
    I just use an umbrella, attached to my table. Works well for cooking in rain and keeping thing covered.