Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st baking attempt - Fresh Peach Pie (Pic Heavy)

No Cal Brian
No Cal Brian Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here are the results and pics from my first try at baking. I went with the Fannie Farmer Fresh Peach Pie (because it was the easiest one I could find!) and cheated with pre-prepared pie crust. Only one (of our two) peach trees produced any fruit and now I'm trying to use it all up before they go bad. Anyway, my daughter and I had fun with the pie.

Peaches on the tree
DSC01777.jpg

Not alot of different ingredients
DSC01770.jpg

We boiled the peaches for a minute to make them easier to peel. Not sure that step was necessary though.
DSC01769.jpg

Our pie filling (peaches some flour and sugar)
DSC01772.jpg

Easy pie crust
DSC01771.jpg

Pie in progress
DSC01773.jpg

Pie ready to go on the egg
DSC01775.jpg

About half way through (had to peek)
3098e0fb.jpg

Finished!
52e5f05f.jpg

Thanks for viewing!

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Yummy!! Nothing like spending time with your kid cooking!! I miss that.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    very nice and great pictures...that looks like a lot of work. I can smell it cooking!!! Great job, I love baking on the egg.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Longrifle
    Longrifle Posts: 130
    Love peach pie that looks great, ;)
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    That looks delicious! I picked up a box of peaches from Trader Joes today for $5. As soon as they ripen, I am making that pie.
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    BTW, is Brentwood near Sonoma? Those rolling hills look familiar. Beautiful country.
  • Thanks all.....

Brentwood is near Pleasanton/Livermore (about 35 miles east of SF) but the rolling hills are similar to those found in Sonoma and elsewhere. It's a nice little town and a great place to raise the kids.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Looks great! You tree produced a lot of fruit! Here's a cobbler recipe that is really good:

1/2 cup butter
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1-1/2 teas baking powder
    1/2 teas salt
    1 cup milk
    1 cup sugar
    2 cups peaches, peeled and sliced, juices preserved, or any other fruit

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Put butter in a 9 x 13 ovenproof serving dish (I often make this in a small but deeper dish) and place in oven to melt.

Mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and stir in the milk and sugar to make a batter.

Remove the hot dish with melted butter from the oven and pour in batter. Spoon the peaches and the juices evenly over batter. Back until batter is browned and has risen up and around the fruit, about 30 minutes. If you use a deeper dish, it will take longer to bake. You want to bake it until the batter is cooked through.

Serve warm with ice cream.
  • I love the little bird tracks!
  • Smokinb
    Smokinb Posts: 103
    I love peach pie and to make one with peaches from your backyard! Wow! Looks great. I would recommend not opening the lid on cooks, especially baking cooks. You loose all the moisture when you open the lid. Pastry chefs never open oven doors. If you want to peek you can look in top vent with a flashlight.
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Peach pie is delicious... That one looks delicious.
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • leeflash
    leeflash Posts: 66
    pie,wheres the homeade ice cream?pictures look great.