Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First stoker cook now in progress! and a question?

Rezen73
Rezen73 Posts: 356
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Man, how cool is the stoker?

Amazing I can sit upstairs and know in about 15 seconds that the cook is going off without a hitch.

amazing!

So quick question - should I lower the grid temp to 235F? or keep at 250F?

anywho, I got the butt trimmed... removed the fat cap/skin, as well as the spin/neck/ribs/whatever bones they were.

Started with this:

IMG_6162.jpg

Removed the bones:

IMG_6165.jpg

Other side of the bones:

IMG_6167.jpg

I swear, the end of those bones look like ribs:

IMG_6168.jpg

The fat cap:

IMG_6169.jpg

Was pretty thick, about 3/4"-1" throughout. Will make for some good cracklin's for our dog, and some good lard for us :D

IMG_6171.jpg

I'm lookin' for rub in all the wrong places...

IMG_6172.jpg

IMG_6173.jpg

Egg cleaned, loaded, and lit! While I waited for it to get to temp, I tended to making the rub.

IMG_6174.jpg

Toasted some cumin seeds, fennel seeds, and whole coriander...

IMG_6177.jpg

And added it to the spice grinder with the rest of the rub raws ... brown sugar, smoked & sweet paprikas, cayenne pepper, chili powder, mustard powder, granulated garlic, onion powder, dried thyme, ground white pepper, ground black peppercorns, and kosher salt. sorry for the blurry pic, was in a mad rush :D

IMG_6178.jpg

Ready to go on the egg! To prep the butt, I drizzled a wee bit of corn oil (used corn instead of olive oil since corn oil is more neutral in flavor), added a nice dose of rub, then slathered a bunch of French's mustard, then another dose of rub. I like a nice thick bark :D

IMG_6179.jpg

IMG_6180.jpg

My jerry rigged rain-proof setup. It's been raining off & on all night, so rigged this up to make sure everything stays operational tonight. I'll make a more proper setup once I get some PVC pipe wide enough to let these stupid UK style power plugs though :/ I bought some today but didn't think about the power plugs you know, actually fitting through the PVC pipe. /sigh.

IMG_6181.jpg

As I write this, the butt's been on for about 2 hours, and is currently @ 111.7F with a grid temp of 249.7F, according to stoker log. What an incredible tool.

Sure makes low & slow seem like easy mode!

Comments

• Edemitch
    Edemitch Posts: 196
    Looks good. I think I need to do another butt soon. Be careful of the stoker being in the box on hot days. I have a very similar set up. We had a hot rainy day last summer and the Stoker ended up over heating. It still works but it does get a little flaky once in a while.

Ed
  • Rezen73
    Edemitch wrote:
    Looks good. I think I need to do another butt soon. Be careful of the stoker being in the box on hot days. I have a very similar set up. We had a hot rainy day last summer and the Stoker ended up over heating. It still works but it does get a little flaky once in a while.

Ed

Hah, no worries about it ever getting hot here. It was in the 50's here (Scotland). I really miss Houston though. Going back in a few weeks actually, looking forward to the hot August heat and out of this dismal cold, even in the middle of summer!

So any thoughts on the grid temp? Should I leave it at 250? or should I scale it back a wee bit, maybe to 235 or so?

Cheers
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    That hunk of butt is a thing of beauty! What's the dome temp? if it's close to 260-270'ish then I would lower grid temp to 235. Depending on the meat temp in the morning you can crank it up again if needed, with the Stoker it's just a few keystrokes and mouse clicks. Looking forward to the finished pic.
    canuckland
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Too much like work-game on with only the basics, lower vent and DFMT. About to fire up a 9# boston butt ( 10 PM EDT)and if I need more than that then I have the wrong gear. But at the end of the chase it's all about taste-
    Good on ya-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Rezen73
    Just checked the dome temp... 230F. Grid temp still 250. Of course it's raining out so I'm guessing that has a wee effect on the temps. Butt temp is @ 129.1F

Guess I'll leave it alone for now :D
  • Rezen73
    lousubcap wrote:
    Too much like work-game on with only the basics, lower vent and DFMT. About to fire up a 9# boston butt ( 10 PM EDT)and if I need more than that then I have the wrong gear. But at the end of the chase it's all about taste-
    Good on ya-

Before I moved to Scotland, I was completely in agreement you... Somehow it doesn't feel right using it lol. But the fact I can type this response to you and control the temp simultaneously while it's raining outside is awesome hehe. Love it.

Cheers
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Talk about an electric chair... :laugh:
    Very nice.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Sorryto hear about your rain, we do get a lot and thought you were on the drier side!
    23c yesterday but heavy dew this am here.
    A couple of thoughts.
    1 I found a cheap dc extension cable on amazon that means I keep the mains power indoors and just run the 12V DC out into the rain for the guru.
    2 Doesn't the stoker use 1- wire. I'm not sure how sensitive 1-wire is to distance but could you keep the whole Stoker indoors and just run a long 1-wire lead out to the egg, then have a poly bag with a multi socket in it by the egg to plug the probes etc into.