Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Back from the butcher. Question...

Rezen73
Rezen73 Posts: 356
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night I posted about my trip to the butcher on Thursday... half jokingly asking what people thought I'd end up with.

Well, here's what I ended up with.

Ordered a "pork shoulder joint" (the butcher asked me if I wanted the "butt" end, I said yes). Very expensive. $27 for a 7.5 pound butt!!!

IMG_6156.jpg

And check out the hair still on the skin. lol

IMG_6158.jpg

Profile:

IMG_6159.jpg

Angled view:

IMG_6160.jpg

And now the question... what to do about these "ribs"?

IMG_6161.jpg

I've gotten quite a few butts in my time in the states, and I've never had one with these rib tips still on them. Should I remove them? leave them on?

IMG_6162.jpg

Planning on starting them tonight, looking forward to breaking in the new stoker! :D

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• man, i've never seen a cut like that in my life. ..are you sure those are really rib tips, or just part of the spine??. .. i think i'd be tempted to cut deep scores in the skin (or remove it all together) so that smoke gets to the meat. . .rub it up good and smoke it like any other butt....if there is anything worth picking off of those bones, you can do it as part of pulling it apart when its done. . ..

again though, i've never seen one cut like that so hopefully someone else will weigh in too....
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    porkskeleton2copy.jpg

Different strokes (of the knife) for different folks I guess. I've never seen that style of cut either, and I think Max is right about those being neck bones.

In the states, the North American Meat Processors has definitions and descriptions for cutting meat. Part of the pork shoulder definition reads "... the neck bones, ribs, breast bones, associated cartilage, and the breast flap (through the major crease) shall also be excluded. The fat and skin shall be beveled to meet the lean on the dorsal edge..."

So, I guess you have some choices, trimming the flap (skin) and some fat sounds like a good start. I'm inclined to leave the neck in place, but inspect it for veins or strands of connective tissue. If you remove it just feel along the edge with a boning or fillet knife, but be sure to save it, pork neck is good eats, either in one roast or just cut into sections. All those bones give the meat a great flavor.

da9da3b0.jpg

323d7706.jpg

9edd8d36.jpg

af041081.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    I love it when the charts come out :laugh:
    Always learning here

Thanks Thirdeye :)

Shane
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    maddenonbrisket.jpg

Some of my charts are way better than others... my best ones are on bar napkins. Heheheee.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery