Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Suggestions for Egg Fest submissions?

allsid
allsid Posts: 492
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I will be cooking in my first Egg Fest on 8/20 and am looking for ideas. I realize that this site is FULL of great ideas and recipes, but I am being a little bit selfish in my delivery. I do not want something too intense like a soufflé so I have to monitor it the entire time, but also want to showcase the egg-experience so don't want to a meatloaf, or common item. It is my first cook for people other than my family and I am a newbee, so I don't want to do something like little pizzas which may require lots of on the spot prep in the blazing sun.

Some thoughts have been de-constructed german potato salad, strawberry shortcake kabobs, or even some sort of thing wrapped in bacon.

If anyone has an idea or some ideas on fun, simplistic, items to showcase, I would really appreciate it

Thanks-
Proud resident of Missoula, MT
https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
http://grillingmontana.com
https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
http://bit.ly/kamadobook

Comments

• outrageous
    outrageous Posts: 803
    on my first cook, i went simple,,, did little smokies wrapped in crescent dairy rolls... then did pork tenderloin... took about 4 hrs from start to finish, took my time and then had plenty of time to walk around and enjoy the fest..... keep it simple, relax and you will do fine..and remember you are servig tastes not a meal...

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Dittos what outrageous wrote. Use the KISS approach.
    That way you have time to go visit and learn from others.
    My first cook was sausage balls (straight off the Bisquick package), a pork loin that I had brined the night before and Spring Hens ever famous peach enchiladas ( recipe is posted on forum).
    Your first cook is a learning experience, don't short yourself and don't forget to have fun, lots of fun. :lol::lol::lol:
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • What they said - KISS

My first eggfest (2008 Eggtoberfest) I blackened fillets from 23 redfish. They were large fillets that had to be cut to fit the CI Skillet - ended up strapped to the Egg all day and didn't do any visiting. That was a fest newbie mistake. In fact had four fillets left over that I blackened at the after party.

Enjoy the fest
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    I like to showcase things that are not common on a "grill". I've done a variety of breads, smoked eggs, tofu and baklava. Next week I am doing braised oxtails in a Dutch oven.
    You will see everything wrapped in bacon from beef and pork tenderloin to shrimp and fish and chicken and ABTs. The best thing I saw wrapped in bacon was an almond stuffed date. I've done that a few times here at home. WOw.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    You are over thinking this. Cook something you like and something you do well. It's that simple!

People coming are wanting to eat and most won't remember what you actually cooked the next day (or that they ate it). Don't get so consumed in cooking that you fail to enjoy the day.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    I got to visit with you that day. I think I traded judy some cornbread for some of your fish :P
  • Chicken legs using Dr. BBQ recipe and the hangers from Lowes, pork loin used Pineapple Head rub on it, and a beer can chicken. That's what I did my first time. Some variety and not much fuss once you have it on. Time to go visit and enjoy yourself.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Tell me about the strawberry shortcake kebobs - those sound very interesting and yummy!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Something you can prep beforehand,keep in a cooler, cook quickly,serve BITE sized portions.Cook for a couple hours then go visit. ;) Sky is the limit. :)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I have some oxtails in the freezer.PLEASE keep me informed on your cook! :)