Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP! butt at 300° - what do you think?

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
crazy butt on at 10 last night turned out to be a turbo butt and was 211 by 7:00 this morning. :( Long story, but I HAVE TO HAVE ONE to pull hot and done this early evening. Wife is off to store to buy another. I'm planning on starting out at 300° and hope for the best. Any ideas would be appreciated!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    I thought you were the expert on these things? :blush:
  • Have never cooked one at 300 but have done a couple accidently for a couple of hours at 275 or so. Never started at 300. Looking forward to seeing how this goes....
  • RRP
    LOL - guess NOT!!!

I'm really not sure what ALL went wrong but I left the Guru in charge at 240°, but somehow the egg got over heated and had a mind of its own during the night!
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    My dad cooked an 8 pounder last weekend. He was at 300-350 the whole cook, and it hit 200 internal in 6 hours. He rested it for a couple hours before I got there, and I can honestly say, I tasted no diff than a low and slow I normally cook. I too will start cooking higher temps some, as I would like to crank out an 8 pounder in 6 hours. You have plenty of time. Relax! Let us know.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    my brother did one a few weeks back around 300, was boneless and he put it on the egg cut side up splayed open, ugliest cook ive ever seen, but... it tasted great. was on around 9am, i think we were eating it at 4pm
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    That's encouraging! Thanks!
  • RRP
    also encouraging - I'm betting the farm! as I really have no choice today.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Dome 400°, grid 374°.

I foiled when the bark began to get well developed.

Hrs, minutes from beginning of cook.

3:17 butt reached 171°
    3:46 - 181°
    4:47 – 191°
    5:21 – 192°

6:00 – 193/194° meat grid at 367°

egghfham1.jpg

egghfham4.jpg

egghfham3.jpg

egghfham2.jpg

• PhilOsh
    PhilOsh Posts: 84
    I cooked a 6lb butt on Sunday that the temp accidentally got to 375* immediately. I kept it on and cooked at about 350 for less than 3 hours until it pulled from the bone and was falling apart. My temp probe fried at the same time so I was without any way of knowing the internal temp. I put it in a cooler and waited for over an hour. It was great. I ordered a thermpen the next day.
    Phil
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Someone posted a method here several years ago that works for a fast cook. Don't recall who posted it. Here's what I remember.

Dome is 350. Start the butt as usual. I believe that was for the first hour for smoke. Then, into a foil turkey roaster with a can of beer. Tightly tent with foil. Continue. I believe I tried it with a 6.5 lb. Within 3.5 hours, it was close to temp, and I pulled the foil off for the last 20 - 30 min. The main down side was that the rub sugars that melted off the butt gatherd at the bottom of the pan, and mixed with greasy. The bottom 1/2" of the butt turned to a tough "candied" greasy substance that was pretty unedible. I decided if I ever did it again I would raised the butt on a rack so it would not sit in its own juices.

Overall, the pork was good, maybe a little greasier than by the usual method.

Good luck.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    thinking about it the temp was probably even higher, maybe a little over 330, he was using my short stem tel tru. the short stem reads low by about 12 percent plus minus
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    That's amazing pulled pork!
    I've gone hot but not 400, wow. The foil stage, steaming or braising, gets the meat pullable from my experience, in short order. I have not done pulled pork in a long time but after seeing yours I'm motivated. I don't do overnighters. :blink:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

If I want to eat about 4 to 6pm doing the traditional low and slow I have to start lighting the egg at 1am, not the best start time for this old fart.

GG
  • ron, don't know what everyone else had to say here, i didnt' read them all ....i do 'fast' butts all the time...put them in the egg at 350 dome temp for about 3 hours with plenty of smoke (couple of big chunks of wood)....after three hours i foil them tightly (and add a little bbq sauce - say 1/3 cup before wrapping them)....then back into the 350 degree egg ...usually only takes 3 more hours or so to get them fork tender....you can even go up to 400 degrees if you want after wrapping....they will be excellent...
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Yeah...
    But then you're an amazin old fart.
    I figure why do an overnighter? I guess it's the novelty of long low and slow cooking. It's a challenge and it's fun. I'll stick to daytime challenges and sleep good at night. :lol:
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    That is a great cook Kent not to mention yummy photos.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Rolling Egg
    Pretty much my time frame on low and slow as well. It's not too darn friendly to a young fart B)
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Mind of it's own???

Female Egg.

Cheer & Good Luck,
    Bordello
  • RRP
    I took all the advice offered and I bet the farm on 350 RED! :laugh:
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    That's why I would never trust them fancy electonik things when the vents all by them thar selves always work!
  • RRP
    LOL - I hear ya but I really have grown to trust that Guru. I know it can't control run away temps - but just never had my egg go nuts like this and I'm still not sure why it got so hot.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    I do them more at 300 now. Its easier and they taste the same. You may need more smoke wood though. This may have been brought up, but I havent read the whole thread.
  • Amy S.
    Amy S. Posts: 70
    MIne got done too quickly last week, but I am really new at this. It wasn't so I could pull it, so I put it in my crock pot for 2 hours. It was great after that.
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    wait...if you couldn't pull it it wasn't done....

they will sit in a cooler for 4-5 hours as well.
  • Rolling Egg
    Well? How'd it turn out??
  • RRP
    I took an average of all the input and advice I was given both on this board as well as in private emails and decided to go for broke. I had to be done by 4:00 in order to get to class, but I didn't get the butt ready until 10:30. Therefore I already had my egg stabilized at 350 but found the cold butt messed with that so I bumped the Guru to 375 in order to maintain a solid 350. It raised through the temp gradually and I never saw any evidence of a plateau. I assume at a higher temp that it blows through that plateau stage as it is rippin on the fat from the very get go!

BobbyQ had tipped me off that I probably would have a tough knot in the middle and that the bottom might be more tough and he was correct. There was less pullable meat, but what wasn't pulled could be sliced.

I have read all the comments and while I understand why some people prefer a higher temp to avoid the overnight cook, I'm still back in the camp that will nurse the 240 low and slow.

Again - thanks for all your help!
  • field hand
    field hand Posts: 420
    RRP, sorry you had to go through this stressful event, but it provided a great reading/learning thread. Makes me feel a little better to learn that even after a lot of experience, "stuff" still happens. Sounds like you came through it in good shape.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • RRP
    Thanks - I really did try to make the most of the situation. What I had not explained was the "why I HAD" to have a butt to pull. I teach BGE cooking classes and last night was a level one class for newbies. I feel every new egger needs to know how to WOW their guests with standards like ABTs and pulled pork. I like to show them what it looks like, how to pull it and then enjoy the taste. Taking a pan of pulled pork into class and reheating it was out of the question!!!

All in all it became a learning experience for me but also was a teachable episode as I explained to the group last night:

A. what had happened (stuff happens even to eggperienced people)

B. value in the BGE forum (seeking help)

C. alternative egging ways

BTW it still had a great taste and received several ooooohs and aaaaaaahs!
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    I'd just cut it in 1/2 or even quarters instead of raising the egg temp.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • field hand
    field hand Posts: 420
    I understand your situation a little better now re the BGE class. Leading a class or a meeting has it's stresses in trying to make sure the pitch/presentation material is as good as you can make it. Students don't appreciate these efforts at the time. Employment and a few years on the job will bring them to the point you're at. Very good with your A-C as they relate to the forum. Thanks for the reply.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO