Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon Explosion

Botch
Botch Posts: 15,427
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When I was out in Delaware last weekend for a Home Theater forum Get-Together, a guy named "Deacon" prepared his infamous "Bacon Explosion". Deacon is an actual deacon in his church in Georgia (iirc) and during the week he runs a barbeque business called Deacon Blues Barbeque (which is the coolest name evar!) :thu: :cool:
Anyway, it starts with a woven mat of bacon strips, 8 x 8 slices:
DSC00201.jpg
He then spreads a layer of raw pork sausage onto the mat, about 1/2~3/4" thick. He then sprinkles it liberally with his homemade pork rub, and then covers the rub with fried, chopped bacon. The sausage layer is then rolled up, and the raw bacon mat rolled around it (Deacon says the raw bacon doesn't cook thru if its rolled up together, jelly-roll style).
He made three, and added cubed cheese to the second one, and a drizzle of maple syrup to the third one. They're then cooked on the grill, slowly, until it gets to an internal temperature of 140 degrees:
DSC00202.jpg
Its then sliced crossways and put on round rolls. I expected it to be fairly greasy, but cooking it slowly over a grill let all the fat render out, and I had to eat a second sammich, damn it was tasty!
Disclaimer: these were cooked on a gas grill, but we all know they'd be even better on an Egg; I posted this just for the recipe idea.

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    That will be done 12 times this weekend I bet :laugh:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Very cool looking. Will be trying that in the future!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I remember reading about these crazy bacon wraps a few years ago during superbowl cookouts. I can't remember how many calories they have but it was up in the thousands. It only makes me wan't to try it even more. They look really good! That is a great name for his business. Thanks for the idea
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Fornia
    Fornia Posts: 451
    Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

I'm actually doing a Demo of this at the MidEgglantic Fest this coming Saturday....should be a blast. I've got a few tweaks with ingredient options, hoping we'll have a lot of fun with it.

I only hope the good Deacon gave credit to the person who came up with this concept. There are SO many folks out there who forget to credit Jason and the BBQ Addicts gang, some even try to claim it as their own. It's an awesome cult cook, which has hit global measures.

I actually asked Jason for permission to do the demo....which was fine with him.
  • Fornia
    Fornia Posts: 451
    WeberWho? wrote:
    remember reading about how they have thousands and thousands and thousands of calories in them. It only makes me wan't to try it even more.

I believe it's over 5,000 per recipe (2# bacon and 2# sausage). Funny thing is that's before you add any cheese or other fun 'extras'. Ha!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Fornia wrote:
    I only hope the good Deacon gave credit to the person who came up with this concept. There are SO many folks out there who forget to credit Jason and the BBQ Addicts gang, some even try to claim it as their own.
    In Deacon's defense, he did not claim it as his own, and was very open on how to make it (unlike the recipe for the best damn Bloody Mary I had that same afternoon!)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Here's a link with step by step photos from the BBQ Addict.

http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/recipes/bacon-explosion/

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • We did a couple of these on the Egg for a 'porkfest' party a few years ago.

It started with a buddy of mine emailing me the link to the BBQ Addicts website, with a subject 'Must try...' I showed the link to my wife, who said 'that's disgusting'. I told my friend that and he said 'Mine too, so it must be good!.' My father in law's comment upon hearing about this was "Why don't you save yourself the trouble of cooking it and just kill yourself."

It came out OK. Nothing special, but kind of cool for presentation and shock value.

Writeup of my cook is on our blog at http://www.fearlesskitchen.com/2009/04/recipe-bacon-explosion-guest-post-from-fearless-grill.html

Enjoy!

-John
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    My son made me one for my birthday diner. It was called the bacon bomb and he found it on a BBQ forum. It was very good, but you could not eat very much, very very rich and very filling.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Austin  Egghead
    Thanks for posting the link. That is the recipe that my son used. It would b great cook for a large crowd. .... a little goes a long way. :laugh:
  • Amy S.
    Amy S. Posts: 70
    It would be funny to eat that, just prior to a cholesterol blood test. :woohoo:
  • Amy S.
    Amy S. Posts: 70
    It would be funny to eat that, just prior to a cholesterol blood test. :woohoo:
  • TL A2
    TL A2 Posts: 3
    I am thinking about slicing it, putting a fried egg on top with a piece of cheese, putting it on a biscuit and serving it at tailgates.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I hope you got the recipe for the best damn Bloody Mary that you had. :whistle:
    Please.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Austin  Egghead
    That would work. slice it vey thin, really a little goes a long way
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Bacon  BGE---SMALL2XXXXX.gif !

Fatties_027.jpg

Fatties_028.jpg

Fatties_031.jpg

Fatties_032.jpg
    The scale is in pounds. :laugh:

I used 2 large packages of Jimmy Dean Sausage from Sam's Club for these, next time might make a homemade. The bacon was Hormel Black Label Maple flavored. The upper of the two I cut bacon in half length wise for a smaller weave. Sorry, I have misplaced bookmark to this cook, it is on the forum somewhere.
    Drool_20.gif

Blair

• Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    I like what your father in-law said! I made it for a Super Bowl party several years ago and it was okay like you said.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Nice job Gator Bait and..............You're still with us. :laugh:

Great pictures too, makes one want to cut right into them. I'm sure other as well as myself are wondering what is inside??? Did the finished bacon cut or crumble/break when cut???

Thanks,
    Bordello
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Hey Bordello, yup still here, glad to see you are as well. I hope you are enjoying this nice warm summer weather. The bacon sliced well with a very sharp knife. I filled these with Jimmy Dean Sausage, next time I might make a homemade breakfast sausage just seasoned with salt, pepper and sage. When Cookin Biker and DOW had their sausage making weekend they made some interesting sausages that might be interesting to cook this way. This is like Pig Candy, experiments are fun and good eating. :)

Gator