Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do you use any filters on your camera

tsheehan7
tsheehan7 Posts: 105
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I think a polarizing filter would help you a ton on some of these pics.

Comments

• Bigjohn
    Bigjohn Posts: 144
    I keep a polarizing filter on my camera most of the time. Usually take it off when I use flash at night.
  • I always have a UV or skylight filter on my lens for protection.
    Often use a polarizing filter.
    Sometimes use a ND filter (mostly for blurring running water).

Anything else can be done in Photoshop.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    I don't use a polarizing filter unless I'm shooting on water or around reflective glass.

For my Egg and plated cooks, I just use a 50mm lens, manual exposure, and a custom white balance.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
    You're using custom white balance for your egg photos? You use a grey card?
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Kind of, it's a black, white, grey digital target. But sometimes I just use a white piece of paper:)

I have to do a custom white balance. My egg is under a colored canopy and the afternoon sun causes all kind of weird lighting and colors.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • asianflava
    asianflava Posts: 313
    Pepe Le Pew wrote:
    I always have a UV or skylight filter on my lens for protection.
    Often use a polarizing filter.
    Sometimes use a ND filter (mostly for blurring running water).

Anything else can be done in Photoshop.

Same here. I also like the ND so that I can get a shorter depth of field.
  • probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    Unless there is a special effect I am going after that I cannot get in PhotoShop, I never use a filter. Speaking just for myself, it makes no sense to buy a $1000 lens then stick a $30 UV filter on it and call it "protection." Any filter is bound to degrade the image to some degree.
  • Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
    I'm with you, really don't see the need, Photoshop does everything for me.
  • probe1957 wrote:
    Unless there is a special effect I am going after that I cannot get in PhotoShop, I never use a filter. Speaking just for myself, it makes no sense to buy a $1000 lens then stick a $30 UV filter on it and call it "protection." Any filter is bound to degrade the image to some degree.

I bet you've never dropped a $3,000 lens. I have, and my UV filter saved the glass. As far as degradation, what is the largest enlargement that you have printed? Have you really done a comparison? I have, with a 20" x 30" print, and could not tell any difference whatsoever (with a Hoya filter). Good insurance, IMHO. If you print larger than that, I think you should be using a large format camera. But, if you feel better with bare glass, then I say go for it. :)
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Amen.
    The Naked Whiz
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    tsheehan7 wrote:
    I think a polarizing filter would help you a ton on some of these pics.

You think a polarizing filter would help who a ton,and on which pics? :whistle: I use filters on all of my lenses(for protection from me mostly).My pics aren't great,but I am proud enough to share them with my friends here.Remember,most of us aren't professional photographers,we just like to share our cooking pictures. B)
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Yes, I'm not sure what photos he might be referring to. Food photos won't benefit from a polarizer. Typically blue skies and killing glare/reflection is what they are used for.

If people wanted to improve their photos of food here, the number one thing I see that could be done is to use your camera's macro/closeup feature if it has one.
    The Naked Whiz
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    I did not know you could get filter for the iPhone. Some pictures might not come out the very best but I figured out how to take the picture, send it to photo bucket and get it to post here. I think they get the point across. I wsh it was an easier process so more peole would post pictures. My next goal is to try to figure out how to put a pictue on my posts as a avatar or whatever it is called.
  • tsheehan7
    tsheehan7 Posts: 105
    Hahaha. Now I see why I've gotten all these confusing responses. I thought I was posting a reply to Boilermaker Ben's beautiful photos of the national parks. They're great photos but the sky is washed out in most of them.

Somehow I posted a new thread. Sorry for looking like such a dummy.