Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chuck roast plateau?

Pjoe
Pjoe Posts: 224
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I tried Clays pulled beef yesterday. My set up was per the recipe and I was using a calibrated BGE dome thermometer along with my Maverick 732. The 4lb chuck roast hit a "plateau" at 151* internal with a dome of 240* and sat there for 5 hours. At that point, I put the roast in the dutch oven, cranked the Egg to 300* and the roast went to the required 215* internal no problem. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this with beef?

Bill
LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Sure. A beef chuck (piece of beef shoulder) cooks pretty much like a butt (piece of pork sholder.) Same sort of well exercised muscle with lots of connective tissue.

I've read many times that the plateau is caused by the collagen absorbing lots of heat as it converts to gelatin. Recently, I came across the statemnet that it is actually the meats structure changing enough that the water is evaporating and cooling the piece. Either way, it appears to happen to all kinds of large tough meat cuts.
  • Pjoe
    Thanks. I was basing my cook on the three hours in the recipe and it concerned me that I was drying it out. It was not as tender as I expected so maybe I should have left it longer.

Bill
  • Pjoe
    Thanks. I was basing my cook on the three hours in the recipe and it concerned me that I was drying it out. It was not as tender as I expected so maybe I should have left it longer.

Bill
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I did this same cook on Saturday with (2) 4.5 pound roasts and they hit 160 in under 5 hours at 250 dome. Then another 2-2.5 hours at 250 dome in a covered DO and I pulled at around 205 and wrapped. Came out really tender. I posted pics yesterday titled pulled beef.