Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump in West Michigan

Kailas
Kailas Posts: 146
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here in the Grand Rapids area, I've only been able to buy BGE Lump. The big box stores (Lowes, Home Depot) only sell Cowboy.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where I can buy a higher quality Lump? I've been more or less satisfied with BGE, but I'm sure it is over priced.

Since I really don't have anything else to compare it with, I'm not even sure that I should look for something else.

Comments

• Jer_inva
    Jer_inva Posts: 109
    Have you tried looking for Royal Oak at WalMart or a super Walmart? $6.37 here for a 10lb bag. Also at Kmart I have seen Royal Oak Steakhouse lump. Jer
  • Kailas
    Jer_inva wrote:
    Have you tried looking for Royal Oak at WalMart or a super Walmart? $6.37 here for a 10lb bag. Also at Kmart I have seen Royal Oak Steakhouse lump. Jer

I went to one Super Wall Mart and they didn't even carry any Lump at all there. Of course trying to find someone there that even know what I was talking about was impossible.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Wally world seems to be carrying less lump than it used to. Two weeks ago I bought 2 of the last 4 at the one near me.

Gordon's Food Service may have lump. The one nearest me only had briquettes, but I have seen them advertise lump.

I have found 2 butcher shops near me (No. Indiana) that sell a no-name lump that's quite good. Both are shops outside the city, nearer small towns.

Then there is always mail order. Given the price of BGE lump, with shipping costs its competitive.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Nothing wrong with Cowboy. BGE lump is packaged by Royal Oak which is carried by most Wally Worlds. If you have Kroger supermarkets up that way, their in house brand is also Royal Oak packaged for them. You can always call Royal Oak (678 461 3200) and ask them where you can buy their lump in your area. I don't know where in Michigan you are but if you get into Canada often look for Maple Leaf Charcoal. I have never been able to try it but have heard only great things about it.

Blair

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    as gdenby said GFS is a your answer - their private label is made by Royal Oak. Just add your zip code here:
    http://www.gfs.com/en/store-locator.page?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Kailas
    RRP wrote:
    as gdenby said GFS is a your answer - their private label is made by Royal Oak. Just add your zip code here:
    http://www.gfs.com/en/store-locator.page?

There's a GFS just down the street from us. I'll have to take a look there. There's nothing on their web site to indicate they have any, or I don't know how to find it there.
  • Check Gordon's Food Service (GFS Marketplace). A quick google search shows three stores in Grand Rapids. Their lump is rebranded Royal Oak, Just like BGE for about half the price. I pay $12.99 for 22 pound gas here in the Detroit 'burbs.

http://www.google.com/search?q=GFS%20marketplace%20grand%20rapids%20Michigan

Joe
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Kailas,

You have 3 different Menards stores in Grand Rapids. You can get RO steakhouse in green bags for under 5 bucks for almost 9 pounds. It is the same stuff as you have been using by BGE, just a different price point. :P
  • RRP
    Well they carry lump at most all of their other stores as many of us use it! I'm sure if the manager was asked he would get it for you in a heartbeat. GFS - at least here - bend over backwards to help customers! Be sure to specify lump though.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    I'd check stores that specifically sell grills in the area. They always carry a variety of lumps for their customers.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• RRP
    That is true and if you mark your calendar for next Spring Menards have been having an annual sale then for like $3.89 per bag. I think I snagged 26 bags this spring! It's good stuff and convenient sized bags.
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Try Gordons. They private label it but it is Royal Oak. I know.
  • MAC
    In Lansing our GFS did not carry it. I said order a pallet and I will buy half. They have been carrying it ever since.
  • Kailas
    MAC wrote:
    In Lansing our GFS did not carry it. I said order a pallet and I will buy half. They have been carrying it ever since.

I'm going to check out Gordon's. If it isn't any cheaper, I'll just stick with BGE and try to order some Ozark online.
  • MAC
    Trust me. It is cheaper.
  • RRP
    sorry to be so blunt, but I guess I just don't get why you're willing to be over charged for BGE lump which is made and packaged for them by Royal Oak and/or willing to have Ozark Oak shipped from AR to MI! when you should be able to buy it at GFS like many others here.
  • Kailas
    RRP wrote:
    sorry to be so blunt, but I guess I just don't get why you're willing to be over charged for BGE lump which is made and packaged for them by Royal Oak and/or willing to have Ozark Oak shipped from AR to MI! when you should be able to buy it at GFS like many others here.

Well, I own a BGE, so if the price pound for pound is the same, I would choose to support BGE.

Besides, my wife works for a local competitor to GFS. But they don't carry this kind of stuff, so I'd buy it there if I had to.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Menards around here carry RO Steakhouse (Green Bag)
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Kailas
    I now have some places to search. I bought of couple of those Kingsford plastic bins and have one that's about 3/4 full still. I have a bit of time to find another source of lump. Who woulda thunk?
  • Kailas
    Just got back from GFS. They had lump! 20 lb for $12.99. It was indeed Royal Oak. Guess I've found my new source.
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Just make sure it is made in USA. The South American stuff is, well, not as good. :ermm: :whistle:
  • Kailas
    Woodbutcher wrote:
    Just make sure it is made in USA. The South American stuff is, well, not as good. :ermm: :whistle:

It's the black bag saying Made in USA.
  • PFSmith
    PFSmith Posts: 34
    Try Herman's Boy in Rockford - They are a BGE dealer and carry Lazari Lump. Like others have said, Menards has the Royal Oak Steakhouse lump. They put it on sale in the spring for about $4.99 a bag in the spring, We buy enough to last us all summer at the lake.